monterey this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jarhed:
Not too bad this morning at the Breakwater. vis was ~ 8-10ft, opened up a bit onceI got under 50ft. a little surge, but nothing bad. Lots of nudi's; got some great macro shots.

Take care,
John

Great photo! Too bad this little cold is going to keep me on land this weekend, even after getting an invite from Jim. :(

Saw a bunch of these guys too.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 36
Can't go diving anyway, have to wait for fedex to bring my new diving camera and got this math test this week.

Jarhed: Your first picture is Hermissenda Crassicornis, usually just "Hermissenda" for
short. You second picture is Dendronotus Diversicolor, usually called "Rainbow
Nudibranch".

The buoy's been running 8-10 feet all morning, so I'm glad I got my flowers planted and
a mess of slides scanned (78 slides down, 76 to go).

Chuck Tribolet:
Jarhed: Your first picture is Hermissenda Crassicornis, usually just "Hermissenda" for
short. You second picture is Dendronotus Diversicolor, usually called "Rainbow
Nudibranch".

The buoy's been running 8-10 feet all morning, so I'm glad I got my flowers planted and
a mess of slides scanned (78 slides down, 76 to go).

Hey...you're supposed to be in your backyard!! :11:

Made it down to San Carlos Beach this morning.

I really don't know what to say about the area other than it is pretty neat and full of great people willing to help out others. Not sure if that is the norm there or if it was due to all the dive masters or instructors; but really meet a couple people who helped me and my daughter out on our first shore dive.

In fact, 4 of us headed down last night to get on the beach early in the morning. Reasonable hotel later, good breakfast, we headed out. The plan was to bone up on our diving skills and learn some new scuba gear we recently purchased. My new bc, zeagle ranger, and my brother in laws black diamond.

Cold water :) But the 7 mil wet suit did work better than what I thought. We normally dive in Hawaii or some other warm waters areas - so this was my daughter's and I first cold water dive - fun. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the gentlemans name who came to me and my daughters aid as we tried to get into the water off the beach. After getting our fins on as we learned in class, the water ended up winning as we got knocked around a bit...A divemaster came over and offered to help which was very kind. Missionary crawl didn't work well and we didn't practice it much at the lake due to rocks, etc. So we ended up holding forarms and walked side ways while the dive master sort of told us which way to head to avoid the rocks, etc.

Again - nice people.

First dive was cold but as I said - the suit kicked in. Worked with my weights and learned the bc in a nutshell. That and my comp. I didn't have enough weight I think as I started with 30 but ended up taking 4 lb from my brother in law to get down. Once down the water was reasonable and clear. Vis was maybe 5 - 10 feet as not many people roughed up the bottom.

Seal or otter started to play around us - neat little guy. Darted in, circled my brother in law, then dashed away. Only to come back and visit again. Saw a couple flat fish that looked like the sand almost. Couple sand dollars, lots of star fish, and snails. Watching the kelp from the gound up is really surreal(sp). I really enjoyed that. I don't know how far out we went other than to a couple floats up top classes used we headed that way - then went to the left to stay clear of their class.

Second dive was much better but vis dropped a lot. Seems with everyone out there the bottom was even murkey. The 4 of us just huddled together and slowly followed each out to some rocks. Found a green plastic dinosaur down there of all things - lol. Other than that maybe some small fish and sea anenomies in the sand.

On the way in there was a big tire we came across - not sure why that is there of all things.

Some things I know I will be working on.

Entering from a beach into the water. This is hard and probably just takes practice.
Breathing - Seems I still use a lot of air up top but once under I do fine.
Gear layout - I kept hitting my octo hose...not sure why as it was using a holder

Again - glad I went there. And I can't thank people enough who help others out there. It was nice and makes people with less than 20 dives feel comfortable.

Have a good day.
-scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom