moray eels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This guy was kind of intense.
Image1.jpg

I HAVE SEEN A FREE SWIMMING MORAY TWICE ON THE SEA EMPORER WRECK OFF OF POMPANO BEACH IN SOUTH FLA. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS EEL IS QUITE COMMON AND OFTEN FREE SWIMS DURING THE DAY. BOTH TIMES WERE DURING THE DAY. HE IS FAIRLY BIG I WOULD GUESS ABOUT 4 FEET LONG AND HE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE AFRAID OF DIVERS.

I ALSO HAVE A SNOWFLAKE EEL IN A 65 GALLON AQAURIUM AT HOME AND HE IS VERY DOCILE BUT I FEED HIM KREEL WITH A BAMBOO STICK HIS EYESIGHT IS NOT VERY GOOD AND WILL SOMETIMES BUMP IN TO THE FOOD BEFORE HE TAKES IT. HE HAS ALSO EATEN ONE OF MY DAMSELS. HE IS EXTREMELY COOL. AND ON OCCASION HE ALSO FREE SWIMS DURING THE DAY

I took this photo on today's dive. It is a Yellowmargin Moray about 4 feet in length. I did not feed it or entice it in any way. It was just there.
eel.jpg

Olympus C2040Z in a PT-010, auto focus, A/S/M Mode (A setting at F5.6), internal flash at Plus 2.0, Macro off

budcris once bubbled...
I HAVE SEEN A FREE SWIMMING MORAY TWICE ON THE SEA EMPORER WRECK OFF OF POMPANO BEACH IN SOUTH FLA. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS EEL IS QUITE COMMON AND OFTEN FREE SWIMS DURING THE DAY. BOTH TIMES WERE DURING THE DAY. HE IS FAIRLY BIG I WOULD GUESS ABOUT 4 FEET LONG AND HE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE AFRAID OF DIVERS.

Yup - he's lives in the wreck and free swims between the wreck and the concrete pipes.

One dive I saw him scare a diver silly when he swam up behind the guy and went right between his legs. :D

We saw 2 large green morays cohabiting the same hole on the reef at Hammerhead Deep in Ft. Lauderdale last week during mini season. It made up for being shut out again.

Marc

I would just like to say that I too belive that the biggest moray is the Giant Moray it has been recorded at 12 feet long (the Green Moray max is 7.5 feet long).

A Zebra is an excellent eel it has been recorded at length of about 5 feet long, but specimens over 3.5 feet long are very rare, and I think that a 55 gal. aquarium is suitable considering they don't move very much.

I have found it intreging that to entice a moray eel to come out of its den is to take a feeding stick that has the eels food smell on it, and put it down by the eels den. The reason for not putting any food on it is because with food on the stick it gives off a great amount of sent so the eel just attacks it, but with a long level of sent the eel becomes curious to the point where it just wants to investigate. Just because they don't have good eye sight doesn't mean they are not curious.

I have been biten by a Yellowhead Moray Eel (Gymnothorax Fibriatus) and it does hurt bad, but the first thing you try not to do is move or jerk fast, that just causes more pain and damage to you. To get it off just reach in with your other hand and squeeze gently behind the jaw bone this will raise the jaw so you can remove you limb.

Most eel's grow extremely slow it just depends how often you feed them and how big your tank is. The recommended feeding schedule for an eel is 2-3 times a week, I feed mine every other day, so they don't eat my other fish, and it seems to be a good happy medium.

Gymnothorax once bubbled...
I would just like to say that I too belive that the biggest moray is the Giant Moray it has been recorded at 12 feet long (the Green Moray max is 7.5 feet long).

This is the second post that mentions the "Giant" Moray. I don't believe I've ever heard or seen one. Does anyone have a pic. of one?

Barracuda2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom