More California Muck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some fringe benefits of cold water:

metridium_tentacles.jpg

metridiums.jpg

Fringehead Blenny is too funny! He looks like he has antlers or a hatrack on his head!

debersole:
Gorgeous nudis! Thanks for sharing. The "warm water wussie" in me still has a problem thinking about diving in 53 degree water in July, though!

I agree. Great photos, but I'm with :lol:

What kind of anemones are those? They look like the metridium we get up here, but not the tendrils.

PS: 53 is pretty toasty. Most of my dives this summer have been 50-52, with a couple in the upper 40's. This weekend we saw 54, the normal winter temp, and it felt positively warm.

Larry - I have always thought they were metridium senile, just smaller than the ones you get in Monterey (and farther north). I have seen some in the San Juans and in Alaska that are 3 feet tall. These in Morro Bay are about 6-8 inches tall. Even in my drysuit 53 didn't seem very toasty after an hour at 30fsw.

This is what I'm used to seeing.

P7010053-01pssm.jpg

These have the "Cauliflower" top. Your picture looks more like a bunch of small anemones mounted on a stalk. I'll have to check the internet id spots for any differentiation.

After checking around, there are apparently several varieties of Metridium Senile, as well as different colors. A couple of the varieties are Pallidum and Dianthus. I couldn't find any specific name for the finer top ones we have here. All the pic's just said Metridium Senile.

After further research, ours are Metridium Giganteum.

Now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out the budwiser ad that goes with the picture!

Me too. Haven't got it yet, somehow nothing works with the horses or the women!

I apologize for taking liberties. (And for my bad photoshop skills) I'll delete it if you want.

budbeeradcopy.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom