More Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Miami from October 20-22, Orlando on Nov 2-3 (could extend this) and back to Miami Nov 3-5 if anyone out there is looking for a dive buddy. Have logged about 50 dives in Maui, Florida Keys and the lakes of Wisconsin. New to the area and trying to meet local divers.

Laurel

hi.. I am going diving in WPB with a friend from wisconsin on November 5th and 6th if you are interested in joining us.. you can email me.. esloan@cfl.rr.com we are going to try and get one night dive in during this time ... (keeping fingers crossed)

Has anybody been to the Devil's Den? How about diving at Walt Disney World? I heard it was something you just had to do. Any comments?

Laurel,

I'll be in West Palm Beach at the end of November for a long weekend. If you are in the area then, let me know and maybe we can connect for a dive.

Thanks Dave, I will certainly let you know what dates I will be in town. Have not had the opportunity to dive in West Palm Beach. Last time I was there Hurricane Irene was pounding through.

I've been to Devil's Den, and frankly, I thought it was a hole (no pun intended). It's overpriced ($27), for a spring the vis sucks (30ft when I was there), the guy behind the counter was unhelpful and surly, you have to hike down some precariosly narrow steps with your gear to get down to the water. It reeked like a dirty fish tank (there was a dead fish carcass floating around in the water, no employee made an attempt to scoop it out, and I was there most of the afternoon). I may try another spring sometime, but not DD.

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
Has anybody been to the Devil's Den? How about diving at Walt Disney World? I heard it was something you just had to do. Any comments?

I was at Devil's Den a few years ago with my kids. We dove for over an hour, got out and changed tanks to go back in. One of the guys who went through orientation with us was on the dock worried about his buddy who was still in the water. He was separated early on and thought his buddy was low on air. My daughter and I found out where he was last seen and went in to look for him. We looked there, visibility was mask - zero, in that area. After 45 min down we came up to find the sherrif, rescue team, chopper, and everything else except another diver. We were asked to get out but we were able to go back down to look after they said they didn't have anyone other than the owner looking for the missing diver (he only had a miniC light, we loaned him one of our big ones - ran into him on the bottom). Neither of us found the diver. A professional team didn't either that went in about an hour later. They did find him about 8 hours later after the sediment had settled. He was right where we looked, but we weren't able to "feel" him out because of vis. He seemed to have either lost his mouthpiece and panicked or bumped his head and went unconscious. The diver was a professional diver/fireman who was from Alabama on the way to Orlando for a conference. He was using rental equipment and probably in his mid 20's. He didn't follow the rules and went into a place where he could barely fit - rules were stated to stay out of anyplace where 2 divers couldn't go. Anyway, it was an interesting but tragic ending to a dive vacation. My kids also learned a good lesson about following the rules.

My kids and I really like Florida Springs. We also did the Ichituchnee (?) River. Our favorite is Alexander Springs near Juniper/Eustes in the Ocala National Forest. I've been going there since the 1960's. Crystal clear water, white sand, friendly fish, and an active boil. Just a nice place to hang out and relax. We generally don't do any tanks there, just snorkel as it's only about 25' to the bottom. Ginnie springs is also fun, especially near the river where the water mixes - really neat. Again, the depth is only about 45' max so we freedive there too. We also enjoy U/W video and bugging the "tank" divers by swimming around them with no gear. I introduced my daughter to free diving in the keys when we were waiting for others to get back to the boat and went down in 50' of water to take some video/pictures after a dive. It's not really a big deal to go 50+ feet freediving (it's lotsa fun bugging the "tankers")!!!!

Jane I am curious, I have dived Devils Den about ten time and have never been there when the vis was less than 30 feet. And have yet to find an area that a diver could get into to much trouble other than panic. The area is actually pretty small so I dont understand why rescue divers took so long to find the diver. Was the cause of death drowning?
Just wondering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom