More Long Hose Ignorance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill is a Control Freak. Pure and Simple.

Good thing he's not DIR; he'd ruin the DIR rep . . .

Bill is a Control Freak. Pure and Simple.

Good thing he's not DIR...

Yeah, imagine a guy who thinks everyone should have the same gear, and dive the same way, and only with similarly trained people... um... getting involved with... uh...

Hmm...

Nevermind.

:cool2:

All I can say about the newest letter is that ignorance continues to flourish.

I've posted this anecdote previously, but I think it's apropos here...

A couple of years ago I was doing a night dive in Curacao. The DM was talking to my insta-buddy while pointing at my rig (one piece harness in particular) saying "Now take note that he has a pretty radical non-standard configuration which will present several significant problems in an emergency..."

He: "Isn't that dangerous?"
Me: "Why?"
He: "If there's a problem, I won't be able to get you out of your gear."
Me: "Just cut the webbing."
He: "With what?"
Me: "Don't you have a knife or other cutting instrument?"
He: "No. Why do I need one?" (And I'm diving a non-standard rig?)
Me: "Never mind, I have three. Here, here, and here..."
He: "How do I know if the problem is severe enough to cut you out of your rig?"
Me: "Just start cutting. If I tell you to get your ****ing hands off my gear, I'm fine. If I don't respond...keep cutting."

:eyebrow:

A couple of years ago I was doing a night dive in Curacao. The DM was talking to my insta-buddy while pointing at my rig (one piece harness in particular) saying "Now take note that he has a pretty radical non-standard configuration which will present several significant problems in an emergency..."

Me: "Just start cutting. If I tell you to get your ****ing hands off my gear, I'm fine. If I don't respond...keep cutting."

Nice!

:rofl3:

Are they allowed to use spare airs? :D

I think that's hilarious. So you're telling me that my backplate and long hose are technical?? I would lay money that his cert cards take him deeper and on freakier gases than mine do, so he should be "more technical" than I am. Right??

....*starts crying* I can't go diving in Canada *Booo hoooooooo*

Peace,
Greg

Does the club allow dive computers or are they also banned? I wonder whether they measure everyone's hose before they can dive... Sort of a hose ruler.....

I think that's hilarious. So you're telling me that my backplate and long hose are technical?? I would lay money that his cert cards take him deeper and on freakier gases than mine do, so he should be "more technical" than I am. Right??

....*starts crying* I can't go diving in Canada *Booo hoooooooo*

Peace,
Greg
It is kinda wierd ... I was up in Kona a few weeks ago, setting some things up for a photographer friend of mine who was blowing through town. He likes a longhose BP/w rig and I stopped into a shop that was recommended, but that I'd never been in. First I got a blank stare, then a, "we don't rent techie stuff" statement. Very strange.

Wow this guy sounds like the owner of the shop I got certified at, massive control freak. He said similar things about the gear... Though when I started showing a real interest in spending a lot of money on new gear such as a BP/W and long hose setup then he quickly changed his tune and started trying to sell me stuff like that at an insane cost. I liked this quote from an email from him

"My rig is awesome, I run a 40lbs Evolve system with twin 55's manifolded, Poseidon Xtreme first stages and balanced Apex second stages in a DIR configuration."

wat

He set up one of my friend's reg sets with two 7' reg hoses at one stage too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom