More of looking for diveshop feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch Fries

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're heading to Cozumel later this summer and the dive shop we've booked with has told us our reservation may be transferred to Diving with Christina. I've heard some really bizarre things about that operation (for example, that when you surface from a dive you're not allowed to speak until you're back on the boat) and I'm wondering if I need to look elsewhere.

We're heading to Cozumel later this summer and the dive shop we've booked with has told us our reservation may be transferred to Diving with Christina. I've heard some really bizarre things about that operation (for example, that when you surface from a dive you're not allowed to speak until you're back on the boat) and I'm wondering if I need to look elsewhere.
I don't know anything about that op, but that "no speaking" thing is just about the stupidest diving rumor I have ever heard. There is no way in... well, there's just no way.

Agree, look at trip advisors - great reviews.

i was trying to imagine reasons why no speaking might be true. my guesses were-
safety- most drownings happen after surfacing. perhaps someone was there during a very rough sea period and the dm wanted everyone to keep breathing through their regs until aboard.
spirituality- sometimes with intense experiences which could be spiritual as in a yoga class the group leader encourages silence while everyone gets in touch with their feelings.

i was trying to imagine reasons why no speaking might be true. my guesses were-
safety- most drownings happen after surfacing. perhaps someone was there during a very rough sea period and the dm wanted everyone to keep breathing through their regs until aboard.
spirituality- sometimes with intense experiences which could be spiritual as in a yoga class the group leader encourages silence while everyone gets in touch with their feelings.
Safety - Well, I've never seen conditions that severe around Cozumel, at least not when the boats can get out, but I guess it could happen. I'd just advise regulator breathing rather than trying to enforce some sort of "no talking" rule, though.

Spirituality - I just may not be the spiritual type, but if a DM wants to try to keep me from talking to my buddy (my wife) after a dive, he'd better be a very big dude who isn't expecting a tip. :D

My guess is that it's someone's idea of a joke. I can't imagine anyone being serious about something like that.

I been bobbing at surface countless times and people yaking while waiting to be picked up grabbed a mouthful of salt water and started choking on it. A couple of times I've seen people puke because of it. This 'rule' is not hard to believe to be true by certain dm's, although I have never heard it said. I love to chit chat while waiting for the boat.

I been bobbing at surface countless times and people yaking while waiting to be picked up grabbed a mouthful of salt water and started choking on it. A couple of times I've seen people puke because of it. This 'rule' is not hard to believe to be true by certain dm's, although I have never heard it said. I love to chit chat while waiting for the boat.
Well, it's not a rule by any dive op I have ever dived with, or any I would ever dive with again were it sprung on me. I am well capable of keeping myself from drowning or swallowing seawater at the surface on my own.

But to the group - has anyone ever heard of this "rule" before or had it foisted upon you?

I would have to laugh if I were told such a thing. Also, I would most certainly ignore the rule, and find another dive op. Treating certified divers like they are children incapable of keeping themselves alive while on the surface seems highly unlikely to me. The dive op would be out of business. I think this one is internet rumor.

I am always to excited to keep my mouth shut after a dive so I guess after I got through spitin out the salt water I choked on I would get put in "Time Out" :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Never heard of anything so silly....

Back
Top Bottom