More Wyndham/Sabor drama with a Sand Dollar Sports and Dive Palancar thrown in!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

based on information in this thread, posted by Christi & Antonio I think it's fair to say the CONCRETE pier

IMG_9453-1.jpg

and access to it belongs to Sanddollar irregardless of whether they lease or own it.

The buildings however belong to the owners of what's now renamed the Sabor, the Reef Regency, & the Aura.

IMG_8241-1.jpg

The wooden pier built in front of the Aura

IMG_0429-1.jpg

Doesn't have any building near it that can operate as a dive shop, but that can be remedied pretty quickly and even though the other buildings are ready to go I can't see Sanddollar & Dive Palancar working things out re sharing the concrete pier vs just putting a shop at the wooden pier. I could be wrong, and time will tell, but for now everything I've read says Sanddollar is the rightful owner (as such) to the concrete pier & they therefore can control it's use. They could use the existing dive shop for teaching & training, tank storage & / or filling etc while using a beachfront location at the pier for check in before getting onto whatever boat they have assigned you to.

also sand dollar will not have a building for a dive shop, it is at the regency club..how will they access the concrete pier if not through the regency club ?? dive palacar can't use the building sand dollar was using, it may be a 1/4 mi. from the wooden pier:idk::

From message # 46 which you've left a "like" comment on.

"The good part is that Sand Dollar owns the pier and the strip of land leading up to it (The road they bring the tanks in on)."

which would mean they do have access to their pier, plus as I said Dive Palancar could use the existing buildings to teach / train / store gear etc, plus add a building by the pier for the lesser part of what's needed to book & collect money for diving, assigning to boats etc. They don't need to have all of their gear & tanks at the end of the pier to get the job done. Tanks can be loaded at the marina, the Grand or maybe even another convenient location, but that's for them to decide on & work out. They aren't new at it, and I'm sure they have a few game plans to work with.

Down here now and Sand Dollar says they own the pier/land to the road. They have added a few things at the top of the pier since we've been here to work out of and are going to build a building. Other than checking in at the old building nothing has changed. Twinky/Omar/Abraham/all are the same accomdating group with the same boats/crews. Was told the increase was to $20K/month which is undoable particularly now in this economy. They have also repainted the side of the dock "Sand Dollar Sports Dive Shop ->" which has caused some irritation but amusing to us. I'll post pics/write up when I get back this weekend. Been a great week of diving with them and the resort hasn't really changed either.

Down here now and Sand Dollar says they own the pier/land to the road. They have added a few things at the top of the pier since we've been here to work out of and are going to build a building. Other than checking in at the old building nothing has changed. Twinky/Omar/Abraham/all are the same accomdating group with the same boats/crews. Was told the increase was to $20K/month which is undoable particularly now in this economy. They have also repainted the side of the dock "Sand Dollar Sports Dive Shop ->" which has caused some irritation but amusing to us. I'll post pics/write up when I get back this weekend. Been a great week of diving with them and the resort hasn't really changed either.
All good to hear! Thanks for clearing that up. I think it's freakin hillarious that they painted their name on the pier! That would be a big :mooner: to the ownership of Sabor!

The concrete dock belongs to SD huh? You can hear anything but if they are still operating there, putting up a shed, and have painted their name on it - I guess so. And that is funny.

So if they own the cement dock and land to it, what did the property owners want to charge them $20K/month for? That must have been in Pesos but still? It was a really dumb move on the property owners to allow anyone else to own that. :silly:

So Sabor/Reef club owns the dive shop building and wooden dock and that's where DP is operating? Are the cement dock, wooden dock, and building all together? I haven't been there in years. Just screwy...!!

The concrete dock belongs to SD huh? You can hear anything but if they are still operating there, putting up a shed, and have painted their name on it - I guess so. And that is funny.

So if they own the cement dock and land to it, what did the property owners want to charge them $20K/month for? That must have been in Pesos but still? It was a really dumb move on the property owners to allow anyone else to own that. :silly:

So Sabor/Reef club owns the dive shop building and wooden dock and that's where DP is operating? Are the cement dock, wooden dock, and building all together? I haven't been there in years. Just screwy...!!
The concrete pier is right by the building SD operated out of. The wooden pier is a couple hundred yards to the south in the middle of the beach. There's only a small open building by it that was used as an office to loan out kayaks and other non diving stuff, and it served as a place for the guy to hang out that would chase us up the pier to collect the pier fee for using another dive op.

The concrete pier is right by the building SD operated out of. The wooden pier is a couple hundred yards to the south in the middle of the beach. There's only a small open building by it that was used as an office to loan out kayaks and other non diving stuff, and it served as a place for the guy to hang out that would chase us up the pier to collect the pier fee for using another dive op.
Ok thanks. Several have comments on the docks but I got confused here and there, about which was which, along with how dumb they had to have been to allow SD to build and own the cement dock.

Sounds like the wooden dock is more convenient as I hated the long hike to the cement dock. Everyone else in my group left their gear on the boat but I had other plans so carried mine.

> So SD can operate there for those who don't mind the long hike to the cement dock.

> Sabor & DP have the closer wooden dock but no lockers or even a shed for now.

> I guess either can still charge dock fees.

> The cement building with lockers by the distant cement dock belongs to Sabor but is too far from the wooden one.

Just a mess...!!

Ok thanks. Several have comments on the docks but I got confused here and there, about which was which, along with how dumb they had to have been to allow SD to build and own the cement dock.

Sounds like the wooden dock is more convenient as I hated the long hike to the cement dock. Everyone else in my group left their gear on the boat but I had other plans so carried mine.

> So SD can operate there for those who don't mind the long hike to the cement dock.

> Sabor & DP have the closer wooden dock but no lockers or even a shed for now.

> I guess either can still charge dock fees.

> The cement building with lockers by the distant cement dock belongs to Sabor but is too far from the wooden one.

Just a mess...!!
I wouldn't blame SD if they either don't let DP operate from their pier, sell it for a high price to Sabor, or charge a steep rate for DP to use their pier. It sounds like they got the shaft after investing a lot of money building that pier after Wilma destroyed the old one.

I'd say that the 2 piers are at least 1/4 mile apart, and likely more. This photo was taken with the wooden pier just behind me & you can see the concrete pier in the background.

IMG_0432-1.jpg

For those of us staying at the timeshares, the cement pier is much closer! Does anyone know if Sand Dollar is allowing pick ups on their pier by another op? Are there fees on both piers if we should be diving with another op other than DP or SD?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom