Morrison Report - 4/3/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, we had a couple interesting old guys show up with dogs, off leash, that proceeded to act agressively. No real harm done, but it makes you wonder. I think its in the countys interest to have the cops drive by once in a while, with all the toursists coming by. Things are ripe for conflict.

according to the walton county florida website morrison is clear now

Sure, they want tourism. I'd say its as clear as it gets too if I were them.

After a lengthy flood and water levels not going down significantly fast - its NOT going to be as clear as it can get.

Hello All,

It's been since the early 1990ies since I was at Morrison. My neighbor just got certified and we would like to make a trip there and Vortex next week. Could someone give two cheap bastards a few ideas on where to stay, where to get fills (I understand Morrison no longer has fill facilities) etc. The current plan is to drive to Morrison from Houston (with full tanks) and do an afternoon dive, spend the night somewhere, dive Vortex the next day a few times, get a fill and do Morrison again. Spend the night and drive back on day three.

Again, it's been a while since I was last in the area, so if there are other sites near by, I would be glad the hear about them.

Much appreciate the updates here, so please keep them coming.

Cheers,

Couv

I can't recommend a place to stay there, but I think there's a recent thread in this subforum on that subject.

Vortex is the closest for fills and if you're diving there the 2nd day it works out perfect for you.

You may want to consider renting a canoe for a trip to Cypress, too.

Doesn't get any cheaper than camping at Vortex.

I used to dive Morrison in the seventies. It was down a dirt road, you just backed up to the water, unloaded and went diving. It was free back then. Later, it became a commercial enterprise, which I did not mind as there was a dive shop with air and stuff to buy or rent if needed. (Showers were very nice to have) When I was an instructor, I used it a few times OW checkout dives and found it to be quite convenient.

Do I understand correctly that it is now part of the FL State Park system? Are there any charges to get in or dive? This summer I was thinking of taking my son, who is not certified but is a competent diver, there. Is there someone who would be checking to see if he has a C card?

Thank you,

Couv

Don't forget to take your Diver Down Flag. The Park Po-Po gave us a hard time during Vortoberfest last year. We used our SMB's and he left us alone. No one checks any cards or anything else down there. Hopefully, it won't be too crowded at Springfest.

C:shark2:

I 2nd Rob in checking out Cypress - its a beautiful dive. You can rent canoes from Vortex or from a place right by Cypress now I hear. You will not find a more picturesque basin than Cypress anywhere.

I used to dive Morrison in the seventies. It was down a dirt road, you just backed up to the water, unloaded and went diving. It was free back then. Later, it became a commercial enterprise, which I did not mind as there was a dive shop with air and stuff to buy or rent if needed. (Showers were very nice to have) When I was an instructor, I used it a few times OW checkout dives and found it to be quite convenient.

Do I understand correctly that it is now part of the FL State Park system? Are there any charges to get in or dive? This summer I was thinking of taking my son, who is not certified but is a competent diver, there. Is there someone who would be checking to see if he has a C card?

Thank you,

Couv

I think its a county owned park now but I could be mistaken. There is no charge to get in and nobody there checking C-Cards either. The store is gone but there is a nice restroom/shower building there now. The closest place to get air is Vortex, about 10 minutes away. I dove it about two weeks before I did my checkout dives with no card, and loved it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom