Mosquito Borne Illness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say it's time for a concerted effort to eradicate the little jerks altogether.
It's an appealing idea. Some could argue that mosquitoes, even this specie is part of nature with a designated purpose. Slowing a population explosion perhaps. None of us like death, but it is a necessary part of life.

We eradicated the screwworm fly in the US in 1982, and some Central American countries since then. Great for cattle ranchers, but there have been some problems - like the deer overpopulation. A similar sterile insect technique is being tried on this mosquito specie in Florida, I think.

There are diseases that we are on the verge of eradicating world wide, as well as some that we already have. This adds to overpopulation problems, but there are humane ways to deal with that - so yeah, great news.

So I guess I agree with you, but one does need to consider possible outcomes.

The Aedes mosquito transmits Yellow Fever, Dengue, Chikunguya and Zika. Using DEET repellents is common sense for all of us. Until the association with Zika and microcephaly is settled, I would suggest pregnant women and those at risk for becoming pregnant, avoid travel to endemic countries. A few of the above posts appear to be quite cavalier.

I would suggest reading the CDC section on Zika Zika Virus | Zika virus | CDC

Last edited:
This is all a bunch of hooey! Columbia had 2,100 pregnant women infected without a single case of microcephaly!

From CNBC.com today:

Does Zika cause microcephaly?

As Zika gained the media spotlight over the past few weeks, there are still many unknowns about the mosquito-borne virus. The most well-documented, although yet unconfirmed, aspect of Zika is its association with microcephaly — brain damage in infants born to infected mothers. Brazil has reported nearly 4,000 suspected cases of microcephaly, in which infants were born with smaller-than-usual brains.

"The Brazilians believe there is a strong connection with microcephaly that we are seeing in their population," said Dr. Ron Warner, director of the Texas Tech Physicians Travel Medicine Clinic. "I suspect it will be several weeks before they are able to be more definitive about this link."

Adding a layer of speculation to this possible connection, Colombia, which has the second largest number of confirmed cases of Zika after Brazil, reported no cases of microcephaly in its population of more than 2,100 pregnant women infected with the virus, Dr. Warner added.

This is all a bunch of hooey! Columbia had 2,100 pregnant women infected without a single case of microcephaly!

From CNBC.com today:

Does Zika cause microcephaly?

As Zika gained the media spotlight over the past few weeks, there are still many unknowns about the mosquito-borne virus. The most well-documented, although yet unconfirmed, aspect of Zika is its association with microcephaly — brain damage in infants born to infected mothers. Brazil has reported nearly 4,000 suspected cases of microcephaly, in which infants were born with smaller-than-usual brains.

"The Brazilians believe there is a strong connection with microcephaly that we are seeing in their population," said Dr. Ron Warner, director of the Texas Tech Physicians Travel Medicine Clinic. "I suspect it will be several weeks before they are able to be more definitive about this link."

Adding a layer of speculation to this possible connection, Colombia, which has the second largest number of confirmed cases of Zika after Brazil, reported no cases of microcephaly in its population of more than 2,100 pregnant women infected with the virus, Dr. Warner added.

So...you're going to take your newly pregnant wife to Brazil while the association is being worked out?

This is all a bunch of hooey!
I think they said that about polio when I was a kid. I knew a few in school who barely survived it, but have since died.

Got to wonder why Columbia is not reporting any problems, but I think it still deserves a lot more investigation - and fast, as it's been found in Texas.

Some people think that Global Warming is a natural phenomena too. Nope Nope Nope, not man caused at all (Says Lalalalalalala loudly while sticking fingers in ears....)

I wouldn't send my pregnant daughter to Brazil. Or Venezuela as of this morning. Or South Florida.

This is all a bunch of hooey!

You still haven't said what "this" is. Maybe Zika concerns are overblown, maybe not. However, this thread is about mosquito-borne illnesses pertinent to Cozumel including but not limited to Zika.

While media reports often emphasize unlikely risks, people in general overlook very high risks and ignore clear evidence.

So...you're going to take your newly pregnant wife to Brazil while the association is being worked out?

Would I take my pregnant wife to Brazil where this outbreak of microcephaly is taking place? No. Why? Because no one has any idea what is causing this outbreak in Brazil. Zika infected mosquitos are just one theory of 1000's of possibilities. Columbia (which has the second largest rate of Zika infection) hasn't had a single case of microcephaly out of 2,100 pregnant women known to be infected with Zika.

What would I do? I'd stay away from areas that have children being born with microcephaly! I would not eliminate every area of the world that can support mosquitos! If I were to do that I may as well pack up and move to the arctic circle.

Would I take my pregnant wife to Cozumel where there has not been a case of microcephaly? Absolutely.

Watch what happens here... millions of people are canceling trips all over the globe forfeiting billions of non-refundable dollars spent on vacations... Entire tourist economies around the globe are heading into instant post 9/11 recession again. The cruise ship stocks are already in free fall. A year from now the source of this microcephaly outbreak in Brazil will probably have been attributed to something localized in Brazil having absolutely nothing to do with Zika and mosquitos.

Yeah but isn't the concern now.. Horrible birth defects? Aren't women who are pregnant or could become pregnant advised to avoid the entire country?

If you're going to Mexico at all you're already ignoring US Government advice to avoid the entire country. The travel advisory has apparently been around a long time. When I went last year, I chose to ignore the government's advice based on advice from people I'd actually met (Dennis, Roxanne, others). I was alright, and I even rented a car and drove all around the island.

They do have bad mosquitoes in coz, even with the spraying they do. I was surprised to find it was possible to have more skeets than we have here in FL, but there it was.

Fortunately, they had some heavy duty "off" type stuff at a store called MEGA. I bought 3 bottles since it was on sale buy 2 get one free. I guess the next day they were sold out and I had a few closer friends in our group as I shared my bugspray cache.

So.. My opinion.. which isn't worth much.. is GO to coz. Bring OFF, or other bugspray with you (and don't depend on mega having it in stock). Apply and reapply liberally and enjoy your trip.

In other news, if anyone is cancelling a nonrefundable trip to coz this year and wants to sell it to me at a discount, I might be persuaded to help you out :wink:

I wouldn't send my pregnant daughter to Brazil. Or Venezuela as of this morning. Or South Florida.
Me neither, it's like 85 degrees in Key Largo right now. She would be quite uncomfortable.

What would I do? I'd stay away from areas that have children being born with microcephaly! I would not eliminate every area of the world that can support mosquitos! If I were to do that I may as well pack up and move to the arctic circle.
I've got some bad news for you. Why the Arctic's Big Mosquito Problem Is Getting a Lot Worse

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom