Mossman Eats Cozumel Day Three

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were to replace beef with eating tofu would it lengthen my life expectancy? Probably not but it certainly would seem that way.

Brazilian cattle grazing is causing immense harm on the Amazonian rainforest. But you mentioned argentina, so I gave an argentinian example. However, saying tofu is worse is definitely a fallacy. First- most of that soy bean that is being grown is grown to feed cows, not people. So even if it is not cattle grazing that is detroying the Yungas, it is the cattle that are doing it.

Now lets say people are eating the soy- it is still better, because it is a more direct protein source. Right now they grow soy to feed cattle (which need a lot of food) to feed humans. A lot less soy would need to be grown if people would eat it directly.

The most sustainable protein source would be farmed insects, but I think it is a LONG time before Americans become comfortable with that...

Well, I wasn't seriously saying that eating tofu harmed the environment. It might, it might not, I have no idea and frankly I am not sure I care about that one. I would encourage people to reconsider eating reef fish except lionfish. that's all I was saying. Sometimes we all get just a little too literal around here. Tofu and rainforests and Brazilian cows vs. Argentinian cows probably needs its own thread.

On the whisky thing...I don't care; I'm drinking it anyway. So much for being politically correct.

Glad to here Kris doesn't serve grouper. I wonder what it was? I think I'll head down there and check it out.

On the whisky thing...I don't care; I'm drinking it anyway. So much for being politically correct.
Canadian whisky is always politically correct. It's Canadian after all.

Glad to here Kris doesn't serve grouper. I wonder what it was? I think I'll head down there and check it out.
Please let me know. I hate mystery meat :)

I rarely post here and have been waiting for someone to speak up about the "other grouper"....(Mike was getting close!)..hahha. (and I will add that I am NOT talking about Kinta as I have never been there!) There are many reputable restaurants who "get it" that tourists like to eat grouper and so they list that on their menus when in fact, what they are serving is triggerfish. Triggerfish has the same kind of texture and is quite tasty and the majority of tourists would never know the difference. I have a friend who figured out how to identify both by the pattern in the meat and he LOVED to bust restaurants with his knowledge. I guess we were easily amused but he was ALWAYS right and it was fun to witness the hemming and hawing by the waiters.........we even got a few free meals out of it.........hahha..........maybe that sheds some light on this important culinary dilemma.......hahha. (and p.s. Mossman----gotta say that I absolutely loved your foodie restaurant breakdown of all the meals you enjoyed to the point of taking notes and trying my own versions......I think you should just quit the dive reports and go back to Cozumel and do nothing but EAT with detailed reports......although that last night DID give me a bellyache!)

Mossman, Hunter S. regularly traveled with his lawyer. As your lawyer, I strongly recommend you bring me along on your next trip. The book you write as a result could have the title:

The Great Grouper Hunt

OR

Fear and Loathing with Liquid (Underwater)

The Mossman Papers

DM's Angels

The Bottom Time Diary

Maybe....On the Cozumel Road....or...Hitchhiker's Guide to Gastronomy by Zaphod Mossman

Mossman, Hunter S. regularly traveled with his lawyer. As your lawyer, I strongly recommend you bring me along on your next trip. The book you write as a result could have the title:

The Great Grouper Hunt

OR

Fear and Loathing with Liquid (Underwater)

The Mossman Papers

DM's Angels

The Bottom Time Diary
Thanks, Dan G, I appreciate the generous offer. I had tried diving with Blue XT~Sea hoping that meant they'd be handing out psychoactive blue pills on the SI, but all we got were ham sandwiches.

Unfortunately (for you) I already travel with an excellent lawyer who never leaves my side and doesn't charge me so long as I keep him well fed. Why else do you think I had to eat two dinners on my last night there?

ignorance is no excuse but what is worse is an experienced diver who knows better still going ahead and degrading the environment he spends a lot of time and money to enjoy....?
As the saying goes......"you are what you do".........I am done.......going to Coz next month.....wonder how many groupers I will spot? 1? 2? 0??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronski, are you going to swim to Cozumel and shore dive once you are there?

I have never seen a grouper in the pool at Hotel Cozumel either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom