Most Basic Errors Caused Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This report caught my eye. It is really tragic. All diver deaths are but this one especially given the human errors which caused it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/page.cfm?objectid=14260645&method=full&siteid=89488

A few observations:

1) diver runs out of air

The guy had 20 dives and was qualified with BSAC. He ignored one of the most basic rules of his training. Seemed he stopped to catch some scallops.

2) when he ran out of air, he ascended holding his breath

The most important rule of scuba according to one training agency is never hold your breath

3) the judge is recommending all divers carry a pony for emergencies

This should be unnecessary at the depths of this dive (55 feet) if basic dive rules are being followed. Judge also says that pony shouldn't be used to extend the dive. But you get the feeling that some divers would just use it that way and that no matter what, they will ignore basic training

4) buddy blameless according to judge

There isn't enough info to comment on this. But I have been wondering why if the fatality ran out of air, he didn't signal to his buddy and they shared air.

A death like this is so preventable. This is why we have the basic rules. This should be a lesson for all of us not to be complacent.

As a side comment, what about the pony being described as an air gadget!! It is scary how diving accidents are reported sometimes

verona:
3) the judge is recommending all divers carry a pony for emergencies
Well, there it is. No more Scubaboard discussion about ponies, the judge ("Sheriff") has spoken, and offically recomends this GADGET.

No pony bottle or other gadget would have saved this diver.

Anyone who will hold their breath on ascent is going to kill themselves on scuba. No amount of redundant equipment or do-dads is going to help.

Anyone who will suck their tank Completely Flat, to grab a few ANYTHING is going to kill themselves on scuba.

There are several other problems indicated in this limiter report.

Everybody does something dumb sometime, most of us revert to training before the final step in the chain to the final outcome and survive to learn from the experience.

verona:
The guy had 20 dives and was qualified with BSAC. He ignored one of the most basic rules of his training. Seemed he stopped to catch some scallops.

Mmm.. 20 dives with BSAC - "qualified" is stretching it.

I echo the comments above. A great shame, but things like this happen. I hope lesson have been learned:- and sympathies to family and friends.

Chris

I don't see where the person that made the rulings was qualified to make them.

I seriously doubt that a pony bottle would save a diver in this position. I have been in a position where my dive buddy ran out of air. He didn't show any signs of distress, but went to the surface with a sign that I call "I need a shave", not "out of gas". If this guy didn't tell his buddy that he was out, his buddy wasn't going to be of much help. I am guilty myself of letting a dive buddy that I know be responsible for their own gas consumption and NDL's. If I don't know my dive buddy well, I turn into a hawk but that is a different story.

Bottom line is that this guy ran himself out of gas and shot to the surface holding his breath. Unfortunately, it happens. As an instructor here is fond of saying, we are land based mammals. The individual followed instinct (which is no good for a land based mammal breathing compressed air underwater) vice training. The other precautions sounded pretty useless to me (or common sense which I am sure that BSAC teaches very well to my understanding).

My personal analysis is pretty much in line with the first post here. And the fact that someone would make the statements calling a pony bottle an "air gadget" doesn't say much for their diving knowledge in my book, LOL.

Sympathies to families and friends on my part as well.

One odd part of that:

He also asked the British Sub-Aqua Club to consider issuing instructions that each diver should monitor the air supply of his 'buddy' at any stage, but particularly on safety stops.

AFAIK the training and certainly the training i experienced put big emphasis on this aspect.

As others have said though, a pony wont help you if you hold your breath. Again, one of the first things taught is NEVER hold your breath.

Agency is irrelevent here, they all teach that. The diver sadly ignored/forgot his training.

Diving accidents are nearly always reported, and usually ruled on, by people with only the most fleeting knowledge of dive gear and training.

And this rarely prevents "virtual divers" from making wild assumptions and accusations based on these reports.

In most cases we will never KNOW exactly what happened and what the diver was thinking. But you CAN always take away the lesson that YOU will be safer if you dive as trained, within your training and experience level, and using good sense.

Happy and safe diving to all of you.

theskull

I am still amzaed that people allow their tanks to get to 0 psi and that they will have to make an emergency ascent. Why not follow the rules and start ascending with at least 750psi in the tank? I mean I know the general rule is 1000 - but why go below 500 when you start or even 300 or 200 - Why not follow rules and safety procedures? By breaking those rules , what do people prove? I can understand if it because of an emergency situation that happened, but just for the sake of sport diving and letting your air run out - I just will never understand that.....

My prayers to a fallen diver go out to the friends and family......

Allow your tank to get to zero. Hold your breath on ascent.

With 20 dives you'd think his training would be fresh in his mind. You'd just think.

Well, I'll share this with my next class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom