Most Basic Errors Caused Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shocker here is the "buddy" was an experienced diver with 450 logged dives and an assitant instructor. I'm not in any way trying to say it was his fault, but, wouldn't one think an assistant instructor would be just a bit aware of his/her buddy, especially one that is a new diver?

Brian

brianwl:
The shocker here is the "buddy" was an experienced diver with 450 logged dives and an assitant instructor. I'm not in any way trying to say it was his fault, but, wouldn't one think an assistant instructor would be just a bit aware of his/her buddy, especially one that is a new diver?

Brian

Very good point - How could he not be aware of the situation if he was diving with him? Brain-Candy

Yes, there's a reason for those safety rules.

Sad to lose a diver out of pure stupidity. Condolences to his family...

An afterthought: If you haven't read the DAN annual accident and injury report, you should. It should be required reading in OW or, at very least, in AOW classes, especially the accident and fatality abstracts.

Amazing how many of these tragedies could have been avoided if people just followed the high points of their OW training. And, not only do they harm themselves, they increase our insurance premiums and give the sport an unnecessary risky reputation.

unnecessary risky reputation.

Sorry, it should have been "unnecessarily". I really do speak English...

How do we know he held his breath? Because a newspaper article said so? I can only assume there was an embolism that indicated that. But still, . . . . .

The assumtion on breath holding would be due to the burst lung if nothing else...

"When his air ran out, he tried to hold his breath until he reached safety contrary to his training.

But as the water pressure on his body decreased, the air in his lungs more than doubled in volume and a lung burst."

my sympathies to family and friends
i agree we should all have a minumium of 500 psi when we exit from a dive
but keep in mind 500 psi is based on a 80 cu.ft. bottle
i use 240 cu.ft. and still come out with 500 psi. call it a fudge factor
my sugestion would be to pratice out of air ascents
i started at 30 feet and worked my way down to 110 feet
also keep in mind when you run out of air at depth keep your reg in your mouth as you ascend.
you will find as you ascend that there will be air in tank and hoses as the water pressure decreases
now that i know that i can make it to the surface from 110 feet it gives me an extra level of safety
and remember; never, never, NEVER hold your breath
the way i remember is to keep saying "****" until i hit the surface
as far as the gadget it just proves how small the dive industry really is
most of the divers who i have dived with that have a pony bottle treat it as extra gas for the dive.
ponys are great if you keep them for bail out only.
at the end of a great day of diving the pony bottle should be still full

90% of all dive accidents can be avioded with one thing - common sense!

>No pony bottle or other gadget would have saved this diver.

Actually if he'd been sucking on any kind of tank he would not have been holding his breath :)

>Everybody does something dumb sometime, most of us revert to training before the final step in the chain to the final outcome and survive to learn from the experience.

I agree. In the end it comes down to this. I had one experience myself. I was running a group in a location where the dive masters do everything for you including changing tanks. On one dive after I had checked the group I forgot to check the amount of air I had in my own tank and dived on a light tank (my error).

At about 30m I started to find it hard to breath. At first I thought that I'd forgotten to fully open my tank so I called my buddy over to check for me. At this point I was holding my breath. After he checking and me taking another breath I ealised that I was out of air and grabbed the alternate of my buddy and did a normal ascent (with safety stop)

In my case I have been through a lot of courses where they turn off your tanks at all sorts of depth for stress testing so I knew what it was like to be out of air. Many of the training organizations do not do this or only do it once in the pool so if it actually happens panic is a typical first response.

I can tell you that it is possible to do an emergency ascent from 30 meters and still have air left in your lungs but I certainly don't recommend that you try or practice this unless you are really in a situation where you have no choice.

These days I check my air first before checking the others.

As a test I once did my 3 minute safety stop at 3m using a single spare air bottle so there is enough gas for a controlled ascent from most recreational depths.

Back
Top Bottom