Most dangerous/challenging dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the site, it's the diver. Number one cause for diving accidents....diver error.

Any site is dangerous if you don't have a good head on you and good knowledge/experience inside. My local 20ft deep lake is dangerous if I didn't know what I was doing, then again so is the pool.

After I saw this video I researched the Blue Hole at Dahab and found out that many people consider it one of the most dangerous dive sites in the world. Has anyone here dived at that site?

YouTube - Why divers die in the Blue Hole of Dahab

In your experience what would you consider to be the most challenging/dangerous dive sites you have been in (or heard/read about) and why?

Is there a connection here with Darwin's theory about survival?

I don't believe this video. I've done that dive several times, and it's a heck of a long way down and a heck of a long way through. He just doesn't seem to be going anywhere near fast enough to do it in the time he has available, which can't be more than maybe 5 or 6 minutes. No, I don't believe it.

I did however watch the video of/by Yuri Lipski, who died attempting it in 2000. I had no idea that video had got out onto the web, and I wonder who put it there. His family at the time didn't want it released, but maybe they later changed their minds. He was totally untrained and non-equipped for that dive, and he had previously gone around Dahab dive centres looking for someone who would train him. His attitude was very macho, though, and no-body would do it. So he got hold of some rec gear and went down by himself. A friend of mine recovered his body. He was dressed up like a Christmas tree, with all sorts of unnecessary gear that weighted him down badly. Had he ditched it all early on he could probably have surfaced, but like all of us he didn't want to lose it. He died not through inexperience as such but through his macho attitude, and a complete inability to understand what the dangers were. Very sad for all that. As tech training gets more and more attainable - way too easy - let's hope we aren't breeding a whole new generation of divers who think they're immune.

I don't believe this video. I've done that dive several times, and it's a heck of a long way down and a heck of a long way through. He just doesn't seem to be going anywhere near fast enough to do it in the time he has available, which can't be more than maybe 5 or 6 minutes. No, I don't believe it.

I did however watch the video of/by Yuri Lipski, who died attempting it in 2000. I had no idea that video had got out onto the web, and I wonder who put it there. His family at the time didn't want it released, but maybe they later changed their minds. He was totally untrained and non-equipped for that dive, and he had previously gone around Dahab dive centres looking for someone who would train him. His attitude was very macho, though, and no-body would do it. So he got hold of some rec gear and went down by himself. A friend of mine recovered his body. He was dressed up like a Christmas tree, with all sorts of unnecessary gear that weighted him down badly. Had he ditched it all early on he could probably have surfaced, but like all of us he didn't want to lose it. He died not through inexperience as such but through his macho attitude, and a complete inability to understand what the dangers were. Very sad for all that. As tech training gets more and more attainable - way too easy - let's hope we aren't breeding a whole new generation of divers who think they're immune.

Interesting to hear a more objective take on the Yuri Lipski. What I've heard and read (mainly from the sensationalist sources by non-divers for non-diving readers and viewers) was that Lipski was just some poor soul who loved diving, was besotted by the Blue Hole and didn't know any better. The video of his dive - with the muffled sound of his voice - should hopefully be a warning to all those who feel they're invincible and are tempted to do the Arch without the proper preparation and equipment.

The statistics on the fatalities at the Blue Hole say something; nearly all were dive professionals - as you'd said, they thought the card made them superhuman, and all male (except for one woman). I've heard several survivors of this venture bragging about how they did the Arch on a single tank of air (yes, all instructors) and thought: "What an example you're setting to your students."

Is this fake too? Google his name if you want more info.

YouTube - Freediving World Record no fins 88m (288ft)

Certainly looks a very impressive video, and assuming this was properly ratified it won't be a fake. Not quite possibly is the Dahab one, but I still find it hard to believe. It's the 30mtr horizontal swim that worries me. Whatever, he's incredible.

It was interesting to ask myself the question of what I think was my most dangerous or challenging dive. It was kind of hard to come up with one, for the simple reason that good planning makes the majority of dives fairly routine. Matching your skills and experience to the dive helps avoid anything that feels "dangerous".

The dives that have shaken me a bit have all involved the movement of water -- unexpected up and down or other currents, surf, or bad surface conditions in which to board boats. The water is powerful and not always predictable, and I have something on the borderline between a healthy respect and a bit of anxiety about it.

Back
Top Bottom