Most Significant Living Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
And to this we should add Bill Main, Bill Gavin and all the rest of that group. We shouldn't leave out Greg Flanagan either.

Someone indicated earlier in the thread that they didn't think cave divers changed diving for them but that's where many inovations came from...bc's, manifolds, alternate or backup regs, backplates (as we use today) and who knows what else. the NSS cave diving manual has a neat chapter written by Sheck Exley detailing the development of lots of the equipment we use today. If I remember right he gave credit for the first alternate second stage to Hal Watts.

Don't forget cave divers were some of the first (and certainly the first "group") recreational (as opposed to commercial) divers to adopt the use of Nitrox and Trimix.

Or that Sheck Exley was the the author of some of the first desktop decompression software- "Dr. X".

Certainly anyone who goes "down under" and calls them "Austrians" would share the same fate. :eyebrow:

H2Andy:
i fear anyone who says "participate in jokery" in Australia would probably get
the crap beaten out of him...

just a guess...

:eyebrow:

chickdiver:
Don't forget cave divers were some of the first (and certainly the first "group") recreational (as opposed to commercial) divers to adopt the use of Nitrox and Trimix.

Or that Sheck Exley was the the author of some of the first desktop decompression software- "Dr. X".

Thanks for bringing that up. Some of my first staged decompression dives were done using Dr X. My instructor had a lap top running dos and I think the date date had to be set back for Dr X to run. I don't remember the exact setup but I think the password expired and Sheck had to send out new ones periodically which of course he is no longer doing.

Divers take classes and cards for granted but my former cave instructor took an early trimix class with Sheck Exley and got one of Shecks own cards (I wish I had one). He taught another former instructor of mine to blend gas. The funny part is that the second instructor became a "carded" blending instructor before the first. When the first eventually needed a card he got it from the second who he had taught to blending.

Did that make any sense? Anyway it shows a little of what it was like when divers were learning to do this stuff before there were c-cards for it. LOL

You see the road to hell is paved with good intentions,
I tried to gently steer the topic away from dipping into IRONY... ie Diving vs Pool Diving.
you know I am an American ,yet now I know why austria has shirts that say no kangeroos. But I don't dive the Great Barrier in Vienna. And I am living in the land across the sea you know between Germany and Italy.But I sure would love to live in Australia, I heard they have some big fish. Just in case any of you folks are geographically challenged. However I did type my profile in a hurry and forget the i in Austria and if you look now I have corrected it to the actual spelling of Austria/Österreich so nobody thinks that I am hanging out with Paul Hogan (not that is a bad thing!) Had to throw in a Seinfeldism (God I miss those repeats)

molksmith:
now I have corrected it to the actual spelling of
Austria/Österreich so nobody thinks that I am hanging out with Paul Hogan

no worries mate (hahahaha)... i was only teasing :wink:

speaking of land-locked European countries, how do you fancy buying a
summer cottage in Moldava? Cheap, and it's only been condemned once...

o worries mate (hahahaha)... i was only teasing

speaking of land-locked European countries, how do you fancy buying a
summer cottage in Moldava? Cheap, and it's only been condemned once...

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL Laughing Out Loud!!!!
Divers really are the funniest!!!
God we need warm weather and a splash!!!!

Dr. Bruce Weinke has made an impact on how many of us dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom