Most Unusual Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would a fuel oil tank full of Navy crude count?

Gary D.

Gary D.:

Gary D.

I like to dive, but I don't think I would even do that. I hope this was work related.

Gary D.:

Gary D.

How much weight did you need for diving in oil? Talk about low vis...

For me 3 dives come to mind

Ben's cavern on Grand Bahama. cool rock formations and seeing a Halocline for the first time.

The edge of the continemtal shelf off of Grand Bahama. amazing

The Jodery in the St Lawrence River It's HUGE!!

I would say my most unusual and bizare dive was my first one. I was used to the boat, and setting up the gear, just nothing else. I set everything up, and tried to stand up, I rose about an inch off the bench, my feet sliped, and i fell down. With much strugle, i got up eventually, jumped into the water without my reg in my mouth, or my mask. I descended with my instructor to 30 feet. The whole time down, i was hyperventilating. I was scared senseless of everything, schizophrenic, I was sure that i was going to drown, i wasnt breating enough, i was flailing like crazy, i was underweighted, and i had no clue what was going on.
I managed to get through the next 5 minutes until my instructor signaled to me that we should start ascending to our safety stop to do skills.
I then shot up like a rocket to 10 feen then came back down to 15. We did skills for a while then ascended. I was helped back onto the boat, I changed my tank out because in the course of a 14 min dive, i had only 1200 psi left.

We descended again, much to the releif of my instructor, who couldnt wait for me to shut up, on to a wreck, where i had the time of my life.

SeanQ:
How much weight did you need for diving in oil? Talk about low vis...
No weights.

Old innertube style drysuit and a Jack Brown surfice supply.

Had to go through several frames of the ship to locate the shipmate that fell in a few of days earlier. It wouldn't have been so bad if he just went in but they transfered and refueled that tank moving him around and up against the suction blocking it.

Not zero vis, it was the absence of light, mega dark and some thick crap.

Gary D.

Most unusual and interesting for me would be diving off the oil platforms here in California.

Beppe:
The Thislegorm wreck,located at Sha'b Ali, Gulf of Suez,Red Sea;Chac-Mool cenote near Playa del Carmen,Mexico.
Me again.I've realized that perhaps I didn't say enough.Well, the cenotes we all know what it's all about,but maybe not so regarding the Thislegorm,being the Red Sea much more popular with us Europeans.It's the wreck of a british military cargo,sunk by a german aircraft during WWII.What makes it interesting is that it sunk fully loaded with lorries,motorbikes,rifles,bombs,Wellington boots(still intact);next to it there's even a tank and a locomotive.It's a big ship(131mt long),so it's quite impressive.It's usually very crowded,but I was so lucky I dived it with just two buddies and the dive master(thank to him being timewise)If one happens to be in the Red Sea it's not to be missed.

How 'bt diving in a Tsunami? I did that.. Would have thought of it as the coolest dive in my entire career, if not for all the carnage.. :/

OrcaBlue:
How 'bt diving in a Tsunami? I did that.. Would have thought of it as the coolest dive in my entire career, if not for all the carnage.. :/
Wow,I've even heard that some surfers rode the killer wave but I don't know if it's just b?@!!$it

Back
Top Bottom