motion sickness, does one get used to it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

Yes i believe so, but only to certain types of motion i can go out in one boat and be perfectly ok and then if i sit still in the ocean on a small boat oooohhhh beware, i dont do that as often and i believe my body has got used to being on a boat ...but a certain type of boat

thanks, maybe there is some type of 'exercise movement' to get one used to motion sickness.

One can only hope....(the more your out on the boat the less you "should" notice it) But if not there are tons of ways of dealing with it though. If it's bad enough and over the counter meds. aren't working for you, go see your regular MD and ask to try the TransDerm Scop patch. It's a tiny little patch that goes right behing your ear (apply it at least four hours before diving) it's waterproof, so no worries. Make sure you drink tons of water the day before the dive, this truly will help out. Stay in the middle of the boat, so long as it's not inside, you need to be right out in the air, try to avoid the fumes from the boat motor, no heavy, greasy, or high protein foods prior (think plain crackers or a piece of toast). Just remember Ponjo, everyone has gotten sick at least once in their life, and no matter whose on the boat, don't hold it in.. Hang your head right over and feed the fish! Any respectable diver will do their best to help.

BTW, I dont think I've ever been on the boat where at least someone didn't feel all that great.

Sorry, I'm a perfectionist. To answer your question technically, no, you will never get used to motion sickness. You will , most likely, over repeated exposure, adapt to the motion that makes you sick. Therefore you won't get sick. But It's unlikely you'll get used to the actual sickness. Now that I've been a smart-***, I take Bonine and it seems to help. Here's a few tips:

What Can I Do for Motion Sickness?
Always ride where your eyes will see the same motion that your body and inner ears feel, e.g. sit in the front seat of the car and look at the distant scenery; go up on the deck of the ship and watch the horizon; sit by the window of the airplane and look outside. In an airplane choose a seat over the wings where the motion is the least.

Do not read while traveling if you are subject to motion sickness, and do not sit in a seat facing backward.
Do not watch or talk to another traveler who is having motion sickness.
Avoid strong odors and spicy or greasy foods immediately before and during your travel. Medical research has not yet investigated the effectiveness of popular folk remedies such as soda crackers and & Seven Up® or cola syrup over ice.
Take one of the varieties of motion sickness medicines before your travel begins, as recommended by your physician.
Some of these medications can be purchased without a prescription (i.e., Dramamine®, Bonine®, Marezine®, etc.) Stronger medicines such as tranquilizers and nervous system depressants will require a prescription from your physician. Some are used in pill or suppository form.

In my personal case my body adapted to the motion that makes me sick.

Since I know myself I suffered from very bad motion sickness - at airplanes, cars, trains, boats, even elevators ...

Everytime that the boat stoped I used to feel sick. With repeated exposure, on my second/tirdh day of a dive trip I´m not sick anymore even with rough sea. And this improvement has generalized to the others transportations - airplanes, cars and trains - now I can even read a book on those transportations ... if someone told me that 2 years ago I wouldn´t believe !!!!!!!!!!

What I usually do in my first day of a dive trip is to go up on the deck of the ship and receive wind directly on my face. I don´t eat spicy or greasy foods during the trip and on my first/second day I take pills for seasickness.

I hope your motion sickness won´t be an obstacle for the dives you want make!

I get my sea legs and am fine after a day or two on a boat. Before then, though, it's Barf City. If I have been off a boat for more than a week, my inner ears reset themselves, and it's like I was never on the boat. YMMV, but it does get better, even for the worst pukers among us.

As Suemermaid said, you get your Sea Legs. This is the term used to indicate that you have become accustomed to the motions that may lead to motion sickness.

I don't know if others have experienced this but there is a kind of "reverse sea legs". Following several days on small boats or sail boats, when you get to dry land, small spaces like phone booths or bath rooms will seem to move while you are still. A rather strange feeling.

It happened to me following a week on a windjammer cruise. It didn't make me sick but I thought I was gonna fall off the bowl:11:

Larry

Larry, that happens to me every time I am on a boat long enough to get my sea legs. It lasts sometimes for a week, I get a gentle rocking sensation. I rather like it, actually. :)

Just a side note
If you have to use the scop pactch, you can cut it in half if the whole dose makes you sick.

Back
Top Bottom