motion sickness, does one get used to it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While there are some people who are lucky enough to get their 'sea legs', I believe there are some who will always get motion sickness. Of course things like diet, amount of hydration, sleep, alcohol, etc. will have effect on seasickness.

I have tried a prescription medication called Cyclizine and it works for me. YMMV and make sure that if you decide to use it, you try it before your trip to see if it makes you drowsy...

I am one of those who feels that the world is rocking when I get off the boat, normally lasts for two three days. Kind of being rocked to sleep :)

maria

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi

One tablet that i think works great is called stegueron i dont believe it is available in the USA but it is an over the counter medicine in Europe

Steve,
have you tried this 'stegueron' yourself? do you know if it has drowsiness as a side effect? I have a friend in Holland that has severe problems on boats and takes cyclizine as well, but it is a prescription med over there as well. If stegueron works and is over the counter, that would work great...

maria

ponjo:
Does a person eventually get used to motion sickness?

Of course! That doesn't mean you stop getting sick though. If all else fails it's necessary to zen it out..

Take the "I feel fine, it's just my body that is having a bit of rebellion on me." attitude and keep diving. It's amazing hoe effective that is at reducing both the number and intensity of motion sickness incidents.

FT

In canada we use a product called Gravol. But I thought all those med state on them not to operate large machinery when using the product...that to me means it'll make you drowsy....doesn't that affect your diving?? I suffer from sea sickness to, but am to chicken to try meds as I'm nervous about being drowsy....that and I drive a big rig, so don't want to operate that OR my personal vehicle if I've used Gravol. Any suggestions?

The drug to which you are referring is "Stugeron" (cinnarizine) and it is not available in the USA. While it has not been studied regarding safety while diving, some boaters have reported significant adverse reactions, especially at higher doses.

Possible side effects include headache, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, weight gain, drowsiness, rash and dry mouth.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

The active ingredient in "Gravol" is dimenhydrinate, a compound demonstrated to cause some worrisome effects under increased atmospheres--->

The Psychometric and Cardiac Effects of Dimenhydrinate in the Hyperbaric Environment.

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:fX0Vp55MJrMJ:www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409610+Pharmacotherapy+20(9):1051-1054,+2000&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

If you are concerned about mal de mer, I'd suggest that you read the following in its entirety. It's an updated version of a piece from my Jan/Feb '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Sea sickness, which shows wide variation in susceptibility among individuals, is not yet fully understood. It is believed to occur when portions of the brain tasked with maintaining balance receive input from the eyes, inner ear, muscles and joints that is inconsistent and unexpected over an extended period of time.

Prevention is a first step. Avoid fatigue and get adequate rest. Eat modestly, avoiding greasy, fatty, acidic and spicy foods. Don't skip breakfast, but stick to bland foods like toast, rolls and cereal. Go easy on tea and coffee, and very, very easy on alcoholic beverages. When on the boat, don't get overheated--stay under a sunshade, don't put on your protective suit until necessary, and get in the water as soon as possible. Search out a spot low and in the center where motion is minimized, face forward, focus your eyes on a fixed object on the horizon or elsewhere, avoid unnecessary neck movements and stay out of exhaust fumes. Do not go below, read anything or look through binoculars. If you must vomit, do so freely, but not anywhere on the boat, and especially not in the marine toilet.

There are plenty of medications available, and you may wish to discuss this with your physician. Among those reported to be the most effective are meclizine and scopolamine. Prescription strength meclizine commonly comes as Antivert. Scopolamine can be delivered through a transdermal patch, Transderm Scop, orally as Scopace and as a gel. The gel reportedly works faster, but not as long as the patch. Scopolamine is okayed by DAN with a trial run topside. Occasionally Phenergan is recommended. It can cause very serious drowsiness, however, and is sometimes prescribed in combination with a stimulant to counteract this. The above drugs are prescription only and have reported side effects, most commonly dryness of the mouth and drowsiness. They may also cause blurred vision, dizziness and even confusion in some users, and it is recommended to carefully discuss their use with your physician, give them a trial run prior to use in conjunction with diving, and take them only according to instructions.

Over the counter (OTC) drugs include Bonine (meclizine), Dramamine (dimenhydrinate; not recommended due to demonstrated adverse effects on alertness & performance both topside & at increased atmospheres of pressure), Dramamine II (meclizine; advertised as a "less drowsy" formula. As this implies, be aware that some individuals still do experience some degree of drowsiness) and Triptone (Same active ingredient as original Dramamine, so draw your own conclusions) . A British drug, Stugeron (cinnarizine), has been mentioned by several sources as an effective treatment (Have seen a recent research piece suggesting impairment at higher doses), but it is not yet available in the US. Those diving in such places as Mexico & the British Virgin Islands can find it. Many report these OTC medications most effective if taken at bedtime the night prior to diving, with a second dose about an hour before diving, although recommended dosage amounts should of course not be exceeded. These medications often cause significant dryness of the mouth. Stay very well hydrated.

Considering more "natural" remedies, ginger is frequently mentioned, which can be taken in powdered, crystallized or root form (recommended preparations), or as ginger snaps, ginger ale, or tea. Just make sure they contain actual ginger and not just artificial flavoring. As heartburn with the use of ginger has been reported, also pack an antacid. Others swear by wrist straps, such as 'Sea Bands,' usually wooden or plastic balls on elastic bands which are placed so as to exert pressure on an acupressure point on the inside of the wrist. There are also 'artificial-horizon' glasses. Even aromatherapy has been tried, with a combination of mandarin, peppermint, spearmint and lavender oil being recommended.

In the final analysis, you will need to discover what works best for you with the least risk, side effect, cost and inconvenience. If you take any medications, you should understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions for use. And remember, there is one safe, sure cure: 'Sleep under a tree all day.' "

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thank you DocVikingo for taking the time to type all that out, I appriciate it greatly. I will have to do some more reasearch and I may try the ginger first...I'd perfer taking no drugs if possible ...well at least before the dive...AFTER diving drinking a wobbly pop is generally nice :wink:

If you're going to try ginnger, be aware that truth is many of the guidelines for its use in preventing nausea, vomiting & seasickness come from herbal lore, although one pretty solid study found 1 gram/1,000 mg of powdered ginger to do the trick.

I found sources that variously recommend anywhere from 1/2 gram/500 mg to as much as 4 grams/4,000 mg.

As with any drug or supplement, one is generally better off using the smallest effective dose. This may involve some trial & error.

Ginger in powdered, root or crystallized form is probably the easiest to control in terms of the amount of active ingredient ingested. Eating ginger snaps, or drinking ginger soda or tea makes control more difficult. And be aware that some products contain only ginger flavoring not real ginger--read the labels.

As for timing, estimates range from several hours to 20 minutes prior to departing, depending on the source. The matter really hasn't been studied sufficiently to say with any precision. The same issue pertains to frequency of dosage. The limited studies involving repeated doses used intervals of 4-6 hours.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom