Mounting my knife on my BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same rambo knife I have been diving since the 70's. Never lost it - always on the calf inside of the leg - I have since replaced the straps with surgical tubing. As of today I have yet to cut myself or my wetsuit. I now also carry shears - I never thought I was going to die due to entanglement - I think some stories might be exaggerated - but that is me and where I dive.
I have used the butt end as a hammer to crack open crabs and feed them to the fish - used the serrated edge to cut before shears and other tools were out there... Still useful after all these years.

Dive Knife.jpg

I've seen them dropped while kicking, I've seen them cause an entanglement, I have only heard of stabbings, but I don't doubt the stories at all.

It's just absurdly unnecessary, and in diving, unnecessary means potentially hazardous. A Rambo knife in surf, or while trying to learn good buoyancy is one of the worst things I can imagine to give a new diver.

I've seen them dropped while kicking, I've seen them cause an entanglement, I have only heard of stabbings, but I don't doubt the stories at all.

It's just absurdly unnecessary, and in diving, unnecessary means potentially hazardous. A Rambo knife in surf, or while trying to learn good buoyancy is one of the worst things I can imagine to give a new diver.

I disagree, based on personal experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This style of knife is not for everyone. Some like them and some don't. The OP said the knife was a gift and if their profile is up to date than the OP has less than 25 dives. If this is correct then give the OP a break and let then discover if this type of knife is for them and their style of diving.

There's a time and a place for a Big F******g Knife. While most people would be better served by a line cutter attached to their computer strap, I won't begrudge someone for carrying a large knife provided they are aware of the purpose, risks, and limitations.

Here's an article by John Chatterton on the subject.

The Politically Incorrect Blade

Prior to buying my own BCD I'd just put the sheath on my weightbelt, after buying a BCD I ziptied it to the corrugated hose.

Easiest rental attachment solution is probably a locking carabiner to a D-ring, even if it's a bit dangly, or two locking carabiners on a shoulder strap.

I have an akon knife that is about 8" overall fromtip of handle to blade point it came with a hose mount and the main reason you wear your knife on the inside of your leg is so that if you have to ditch your weight belt the belt won't get hung up on your knife as its sliding off dive with a big f@€&!%$ knife on my ankle and most of the divers I dive with dive with at least two knives and they do get used they have their uses and I am not always taking it out of its sheath but I do practice taking it out about every 2nd dive I have a uk stainless Rambo style knife and haven't lost it in over 2 years once it's locked n it takes 2 fingers 2 push down 2 separate tabs to release it preventing accidental unsheathings

I have an akon knife that is about 8" overall fromtip of handle to blade point it came with a hose mount and the main reason you wear your knife on the inside of your leg is so that if you have to ditch your weight belt the belt won't get hung up on your knife as its sliding off dive with a big f@€&!%$ knife on my ankle and most of the divers I dive with dive with at least two knives and they do get used they have their uses and I am not always taking it out of its sheath but I do practice taking it out about every 2nd dive I have a uk stainless Rambo style knife and haven't lost it in over 2 years once it's locked n it takes 2 fingers 2 push down 2 separate tabs to release it preventing accidental unsheathings

Look out its underwater rambo. That's seriously a huge knife. What do you use it for - besides carving turkeys at depth?

OP should take a piece of webbing that is slightly longer then the length of the blade when folded together + 6 inches, then using a needle and thread make a homemade sheath and then at the top fold over a longer section and sow that so it can slide onto the harness then put a pony tail around the sheath to take up the side to side wobble slack.

There's a time and a place for a Big F******g Knife. While most people would be better served by a line cutter attached to their computer strap, I won't begrudge someone for carrying a large knife provided they are aware of the purpose, risks, and limitations.

Here's an article by John Chatterton on the subject.

The Politically Incorrect Blade

Good article! I had one of these BFK's given to me in the 1970's by an uncle who stopped diving. Over time, I gave it to someone else. I wish I still had it.

GJS

Look out its underwater rambo. That's seriously a huge knife. What do you use it for - besides carving turkeys at depth?

OP should take a piece of webbing that is slightly longer then the length of the blade when folded together + 6 inches, then using a needle and thread make a homemade sheath and then at the top fold over a longer section and sow that so it can slide onto the harness then put a pony tail around the sheath to take up the side to side wobble slack.

I use my ankle knife as a tool more then a knife I jam it into sand to give me a handhold in heavy current for prying and the serrated edge is great for cutting thick rope be knifes have their place and use or they wouldn't be sold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom