Moving to Deatsville AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
My wife just got orders and we will be moving to Deatsville AL (near Montgomery) in July. It looks like we will be about 3-4 hours from the Pensacola and Destin beaches. What are the good dive sites to hit in and around Alabama and the Panhandle?

I think the Oriskany is a must hit but other than that I am clueless.

We got lots of dive buddies and lots of dive sites. Let us know when you get here......

You may want to consider cavern training. It will open up many more dive sites and great conditions year round.

Thanks for the replies all.

@Lance & Tom - Will be there in July so I will definitely be pinging you with a message.
@Dive - I am not sure about cave diving. It makes me nervous :baby:

Thanks for the replies all.

@Lance & Tom - Will be there in July so I will definitely be pinging you with a message.
@Dive - I am not sure about cave diving. It makes me nervous :baby:

Cavern diving is not cave diving. The training is great training even if you decide it's not something you want to do.

Cavern diving is not cave diving. The training is great training even if you decide it's not something you want to do.

I watched the videos you linked to in your sig. I must say that did not really make me feel more comfortable about overhead diving. But, they did illustrate to me the need for at least some training in the event you find yourself in a predicament you did not intend to be in.

One of my biggest fears about cavern/cave diving (I understand they are 2 separate disciplines) is the silt out conditions where there is seemingly no way out unless you get a lucky guess. Is this something that is gone over in Cavern dive training or would this be training for cave diving only?

That's the focus and foundation of cavern diving training. Most caverns aren't that silty, so it's not as much of a concern. TThat being said, I do bring my students to a cavern that is silty and let them experience an actual silt out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom