Mozambique Warning - Devocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This is a public service announcement to forewarn other trusting divers of a company that scams its customers. I managed to recoup my losses with travel insurance so if you dive with this company please ensure you are covered.

I will begin by saying this is worst diving service in 13 years of diving all around the world, including several 3rd World countries.

I'll try to remain as objective as possible. All of what I write is absolutely factual and true.

I booked at Devocean Diving Mozambique on the recommendation of a friend who stayed 3 years ago, when Devocean was in its prime. It has since gone waaaaay downhill, apparently. Simon, the owner, is very smooth via his emails and requires full upfront payment of a very large amount, in US dollars. I reluctantly paid a substantial price (via PayPal) and didn't suspect anything at the time due to my friend's recommendation. There is a MASSIVE discrepancy between what is paid and what is provided.

Upon arriving at the "dive resort" I was extremely disappointed. Despite the website and emails suggesting otherwise, they no longer conduct dives, and actually outsource to another company (who are cheaper to book direct - "Back to Basics Adventures). The gear Devocean tried to rent to me was unserviceable and dangerous. The wetsuits were rotten, hoses deteriorated, and BCDs held together with zip ties! I refused to hire their gear. They call themselves a 5-star PADI dive centre but the only guy working there is a local who is well-meaning but unfortunately hopeless...

The location "next to the police station" is not a good thing. On 2 of the 3 nights I was there, I listened to loud screaming coming from a jail cell. It sounded like someone was being tortured. It was truly haunting and disturbing.

The tents themselves are well-past their used by date. The mosquito nets have large holes and are ineffective (luckily I brought my own). The tent leaked due to holes, the bed is well worn, the sheets are horrible and dirty, I had to go through 3 fans to find one that worked (I wasn't given on in the first place), and the lamp was broken. The tents are generally in full sun, and the "Deluxe" tents are literally touching each other and are in full sun all day.

It was suggested by the owner that I should pay for full board (i.e. breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided) due to limited dining options in Ponta. This is not true. There are great dining options in Ponta that are cheaper and better than Devocean claims. If you must stay, make the decision on food once you get there. Don't pay upfront.

So long story short, this place is going out of business and is a blight on the town. They are unscrupulous in their business practice's and misrepresent their services. Their dive service is non-existent, their equipment is dangerous, their accommodation and food is poor, and the location is not ideal.

My advice is to avoid this place if at possible.

I stayed for 4 nights. Diving is poor. There is a pod of resident dolphins that hang out around Ponta which makes a snorkelling trip worthwhile, but I would not recommend diving. Better quality and value can be found almost everywhere else in the world.

Mozambique is one of the poorest and most undeveloped countries on the planet.

Your description is not surprising.

That you were, is.

Ive been around. The country was no surprise. The management of the company was a surprise as Id heard differently from a friend who had dived with the same company several years earlier. The company had since changed owners and seemed intent on running it into the ground. He was doing a good job if that was his intent.

Good advice, however, for any considering going there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom