MP3 Player?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found an Underwater Walkman a three years ago or so. I forget the brand name. Made by a guy in New Jersey as I recall. Contains an old Realistic (Radio Shack's el-cheapo brand) walkman that has been hacked into a little.

I think I paid $400 for that at the time (I had just cashed in on some computer stocks back then)

Has Forward, Reverse, and volume contral.

It is pretty clunky I must admit, but definitely wins me the "SCUBA Gadget" contest on every trip!

Intended audience was mostly commercial divers and other extended range divers doing long deco stops.

Rather than a speaker it uses a small "puck" that vibrates and you "hear" through bone conduction. You place the puck against your skull.

When I first recieved it (with no instructions) I hoped in the pool with my snorkel (Arizona in the Summer - 110 F). I could not figure out what the deal was with the puck and why I had to turn it up to full to hear anything (I claim the heat, and possibly the bear, clouded my intelect that day). I called the guy that made it and qucikly figured out that it used conduction and needed to be placed against the skull. I asked the guy how I was supposed to do that and he replied, "just stick it under your hood.". Ah, you see I have a preference for warm water diving. I eventually found that by using a mask strap cover ("slap strap") I could get the 2 inch diameter (.5 inch thick) puck to fit behind my head under the mask strap. Not as good for sound as on the side of my head, but good enough.

I eventually obtained an MP3 player that is in the form of a cassette tape that I can use in place of actual tape. I get more music and better quality that on tapes.

Drift diving with some nice tunes has been my favorite use.

-Todd Hardin
thardin1@mindspring.com

frankly, i don't see the wisdom behind mp3 underwater...
for one, it totally defeats the serenity of being underwater...

second, we just talked about, in another thread, how to get the attention of other divers underwater, and now, this one, a 180 degree shift... what if something goes wrong, like for example, your buddy gets lost and just because your ears are too preoccupied with the mp3 music, and you won't be able to hear him/her "calling" for help... accidents happen in a matter of seconds... just enough for that interval between your last buddy check and your next...

this is just my opinion...
wisdom is based only on my own intellect...
please enlighten me on this...
thank you very much...

link copied and pasted from above
http://www.desdiver.com/Products/

i've tried this out before. It's a real nice system. very easy to use and configure. although it's slightly expensive...but $400 for an underwater/scuba equipment should be reasonable.

because water conducts sound a lot better, this system will just blast the full bass sound beyond belief. you can hear stuff you've not heard before. either this or other systems will be perfect.

I read a review of the underwater radio from Speedo written by a swimmier. Remember it said the concept sounded better than the product. Being designed for lane swimming, I also doubt if it can go beyond 1 atmosphere. Just my .02...

i know few people who actually tried taking the above product (underwater MP3 player link i posted earlier) beyond the 200ft limit. they took it down to, i believe 240ft, and worked fine.

I have the h2o audio case for two of my ipods and love them. Haven't gotten the one rated for diving yet.

Back
Top Bottom