Mt. Everest of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That'd be a lot of stage bottles... something like 200,000 of them. I bet even Irvine would endorse maybe using an additional, non-DIR D-ring.

Of course, it's all moot, because you couldn't breathe from your bottles below about 7000 feet...

- Warren

What made the Trieste(I think that's the name-my French is poor) capable of diving to the bottm of the Marianas Trench, where others would implode?

I think it's funny that the deepest part of the Ocean is refered to as a "trench"

Not being a techie, how many breaths per bottle at 1100 ats? Or is it bottles per breath?

dkigreg,

Seeing as the pressure in a bottle is rougly 200 ATA, there are no breaths at 1100 ATA pressure-depth. In fact, the bottle would actually suck the air out of your lungs.

- Warren

You guys definately have too much time on your hands.....but the reading is sure fun!

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before but what is the deepest a person has been on scuba?

Last I heard it was Sheck Exley, something like 950 ffw. It may since have been beaten.

Hey, wait, I guess I shouldn't even post, because I'm not sure I know the answer.

Oops.

- Warren

Bring a traveler's friend for use in the drysuit!

Well GP, (and Warren)
A British fellow just made 1000' +, ( I think it was 1040') on open circuit.
OK, I have to run to the bookshelf to get the facts.
nov 26, 2001, John Bennett dived to 1010'. Hang time was a planned time of 8hrs but was extended by 1.5hrs due to complications on his shallower stops.

John Bennett dived to 254m open-water dive in the Philippines in which 41-year-old Briton John Bennett set a world record depth. The dive beat by a large margin the previous record of 202.5m, set in March by Belgian Ben Reymenants at Dahab in Egypt.
Backed by a team from Capt'n Gregg's dive centre at Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Bennett dived on open-circuit trimix to a carefully planned schedule aimed at providing new parameters for deep diving in general.
Using a custom-prepared dive profile on Abyss software, Bennett employed very slow ascents and, during decompression, a relatively new technique called back-switching, in which the diver regularly switches from pure oxygen to the leanest oxygen mix allowed at that depth, to limit potentially dangerous exposure to high levels of oxygen.
Bennett took the technique one stage further by back-switching to pure helium for periods during decompression at the top stops, and is convinced that this was the single most important aspect of developing a safe deep-dive decompression routine. He reported no problems with decompression illness, oxygen hits or HPNS (a nervous system complaint linked with rapid descents to depth).
Bennett used four trimixes: 16/48 on the descent to 90m; 4/80 bottom mix from 90m down and back up to 150m; 10/69 from 150m to 90m; 16/48 again to 60m; and 23/23 to 39m. From here he used nitrox mixes of 33 per cent to 21m, 50 per cent to 12m and 73 per cent to 6m, from where he finished decompression on pure oxygen. Switchovers were extended over a period of time to ensure that his body did not react to a rapid change of gas.
Bennett's descent rate was 25m per minute, the ascent 25m/min to 180m, 15m/min to 150m, then 10m/min. He did 30-second stops every 10m from 150m to 120m, then one-minute stops from there to the surface.
For the dive a weighted line was set and PADI course director Alan Nash, an independent observer, witnessed Bennett return to the surface with a tag that had been set at 250m. After analysis of the dive computers and allowing for some line stretch, the depth of 254m was agreed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom