Mugu Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
SoCalAJ and I decided to try diving our little 'mini Gibralter' today, we do some pretty hairy beach dives, so we figured no big deal.

OOPS!

Well, we arrived as the sun was setting, rigged up and began our climb down to the water. Oh, did I forget to mention the only way to the water is down an embankment? We should have guessed we were in trouble when a mountianeering class stopped to watch our decent. And take photos.

We get to the water, do a fairly easy rock entry, (as rock entries go!), and decend to about 15 feet. To a sand flat. The Sahara is a lush oaisis, teeming with life compared to this place. Oh, how exciting! A crab! And a 2 inch fish! After 20 minutes of this, by mutual boredom, we thumb the dive.

As we swim to our exit point, I realize that the surf has gone from slightly large to f***ing huge! Oh, don't get me wrong, we can exit, but we'll die, smacked onto rocks at just under 80 mph, with the Pacific helpfully pushing us along.

Looks like we're going to have to swim around the rock, against the current, to a sandy beach. Not to worry, it's only a mile or so up stream.

At this point, there was a lull in the surf, and making hay while the sun shines, we scramble onto the rocks, not breaking more than five bones between us.

Scaling a fifty foot cliff in the dark while wearing full scuba gear is up for olympic consideration as an extreme sport next year, I'm told, if that is indeed the case, say hello to the gold and silver medalist's!

As I write this, (well, actually I'm dictating, every inch of me is already sore, including my finger tips), there may be some of you who are considering this exciting dive.

To those few, I offer this advice:

DON'T TRY IT, YOU FOOL, DON'T TRY IT! :D

Cheers,

PhotoTJ

Not familiar with the dive site of which you speak

LOL, that's cuz it ain't a "dive site"! Often passed by there wondering what the diving was like. Now I know. Thanks for the research

Thanks! :)

I went back yesterday in a ridiculous attempt to see if I could find it again......:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom