Multi-destination dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe slightly, if by "graduating" you meant leaving high school. Anyway, I still wouldn't take much gear, even though rental gear can be a bit problemmatical. Listen to what Dr. Bill says, as he's done this sort of thing a lot.

I'm in the process of deciding to take a similar trip (although not set on the destinations yet). I don't have any advice about gear (as I'm only just getting my OW) but you could check out this travel blog site:

Everything Everywhere Travel Blog and Travel Photography

He has so far been through Aus and much of the the South Pacific, Malaysia, Indonesia and seems to dive in a lot of locations. From some comments he's made, it sounds like he responds to email questions too.

I did Australia last December. The best sites from Cairns you really need to do via liveaboard. Our trip did include rental gear.

I guess the caveat depends on your size. As a larger person, I would prefer to have my gear over what I received as a rental BC (which felt tight).

I did Australia last December. The best sites from Cairns you really need to do via liveaboard. Our trip did include rental gear.

I guess the caveat depends on your size. As a larger person, I would prefer to have my gear over what I received as a rental BC (which felt tight).

I am not really concerned about the availability or sizes of the rental gear. I am mostly concerned with condition of the gear. Is is safe? How often does it get serviced, etc.
Will they have weight-integrated BCs? (so much better to dive with -comfort/trim/ease)

Thanks for the info about Cairns.

I have dived in Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Vietnam, PNG, Fiji, and Indonesia. The quality of rental gear will change with the dive operation and the destination. It is a pain to lug a dive bag around while touring but you know what you have. It can also be expensive to rent ($20-$35 a day). When I plan a trip with lots of diving I bring my gear. When the trip will involve mostly touring I will rent. There are generally multiple dive operations to check out for the boats they use, and their rental gear.
As for travel arrangements-I have not seen an around the world ticket as inexpensive as Dr. Bill wrote but it is a good idea to check out. Usually an ATW ticket involves using a single airline alliance. There are now a few discount airlines operating in Asia so you can substitute and pay separately for some flights and fill in some gaps. These airlines often have strict baggage allowances so you must check this out if you will bring your gear. I am planning a trip to Truk and Indonesia for October and therefore am limited to using Continental and Sky Team. For PNG you must use Air Niu Guinea, and out of Cairnes is the least expensive. In my opinion it is the best diving I have done. Exploring the culture is a "must". PNG is somewhat expensive but worth it !
good luck with your journey---wallyaussi

Thanks wallyaussi for the response.

Can you recommend any of the dive ops you used in those areas? It would be a good place for me to start my research.

sorry- I do not write down that information. I have prebooked and decided after I arrived. If you do not plan a live-a-board, the most you can do is have one bad day. Then you just look for another shop to use. Hang around a shop and listen to the customers. Ask questions. Look at their boat and their rental gear even if you are using your own. And lastly, as with many things- "listen to your gut".

Would your advice be tailored to my age range?

We may abstain from listing some of the better massage parlors in Manila if it were high school. :)

I agree with most of what is said and I understand your concern. On my first dive in the Philippines, I was given a tank with a significant leak between the valve and cylinder (i.e. not o-ring to first stage). If you are really concerned about a rental BC, you could look into a travel backplate (like the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Travel Backplate) and a small wing.

Best of luck!
~Jeff

Can I ask what the abbreviations stand for? I'm sure GBR and PNG are totally meaningful to many people, but some of us aren't American and haven't a clue.
You don't have to be American to have a clue, Peter. I have lived outside the States for much of my life, and those abbreviations are widely used among English speakers. Here are two of many examples from a BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club) website:

BSAC TRAVEL CLUB PHOTOGRAPHIC AWARD - 2005 - Gallery November 2005

BSAC TRAVEL CLUB PHOTOGRAPHIC AWARD - 2006 - Gallery February 2006

Back
Top Bottom