Multi tool for dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the main issue with most types of folding knife is that you typically need two hands to get it open. Not a problem on land, but a potential problem underwater if you only have one hand available (the other hand is occupied, entangled, etc.).

Any primary cutting tool should be able to be reached with either hand, and "deployed" with just one hand. Ideally the same goes for a backup cutting tool, but I used a folding knife for a backup in the past (but it could be opened with one hand). I've since switched to a fixed-blade for my backup knife as well.

Best wishes.

I agree with devondiver, rsldonk,, and leadturn--the multi-tool will rust, the best place for it is in the dive bag, and it requires two hands to use. On the other hand, shears and a knife just won't cut it if you need to file your nails or open a bottle of wine during a dive. :wink:

... On the other hand, shears and a knife just won't cut it if you need to file your nails or open a bottle of wine during a dive. :wink:

:rofl3:

Xscuba makes a knife/shear combo.

The problem is that the thing is huge.

Friend of mine has one, didn't like it much. It's so big he has to strap it to his leg, which kept getting tangled in kelp, whcih really defeated the purpose of having a knife because it's not supposed to be the cause of more tangles. I like my Halcyon, and on my waist strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom