"Third" Powerhouse Cutting Tool (after 2 Line Cutters)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you mean didn't work at all?
It's not like an electric grinder with tons of torque..

It's an air tool,
You need to brace yourself, cut lightly, keep rpms up, and stay straight..

I am sure it would work underwater, ( first stage needs to be at the same level), but not as well because the blade can't reach full rpm,,, now maybe some air around the blade could help... but then you can't see.
Tried cutting a front windshield of a car?
Is there a secret trick you know?
If not, this is far superior

Wow, that kind of mess - particularly in bad visibility is a significant hazard. Steel chain and cable is a real issue. I would most definitely have a large serrated knife with me. That is what you want for rope. You can coat the blade in Vaseline if you want to make it completely corrosion proof - between uses. I would buy a $4 knife at Walmart and replace frequently, If you are worried about stabbing yourself in bad visibility with it, you probably shouldn't be diving there.

I posted the pneumatic cut off wheel as a joke, but the reality is that it will work quite well underwater. It would only be for cutting steel and it would only make sense to carry it when you know you are going to cut some metal. It will use a lot of air and if you can rig the supply hose with about 8 feet or of length, maybe coil it so it is manageable, then this will improve performance of the tool, as the hose acts as a reservoir and will supply air better than a short hose - regardless, you will still need to operate in short duration bursts due to the air flow requirements. And you definitely would not want it connected to your breathing supply - for safety. You will want to dump a good bit of oil in the tool before and after each dive.

If I could not see a couple of feet (when the silt clears) I would not be diving (on purpose) around that kind of anchor entanglement - with cable etc.

Tried cutting a front windshield of a car?

You trying to cut glass or metal around the glass?
I never tried glass, but steel tin, no problem,
Secret is steady hands like iron, so it stay straight in the cut and doesn't bind,
And Just enough pressure so that the rpms don't slow down to much.

And yes I'll take an electric angle grinder with a zip disk any day,
If it fits,

If not, this is far superior

This is cool, pricey but cool,

Blacktip scooters should have a waterproof plug to plug in a cordless angle grinder... :wink:

So far:

(1) After some consideration, I decided to try these Fiskars 710150-1001 PowerArc Shears (10 Inch) as my 3rd EDC Scuba cutter in the "shears" category. Amazing reviews, great price, good features. I'll have to monitor for rust, and test on a variety of boat-ropes.

Worst case, they'll have to be soaked in rust-remover, and "downgraded" to kitchen/household/utility shears, which I always need more of. And then I'll try out whatever's next on my list of similarly-sized shears category (utility-shears, kitchen shears, etc) - there are about 4-5 other ones in the $25 or less price range that caught my eye. Of course I'll report the results here.

(2) Next, I'm thinking I'll have a more "serious" tool, I'm a little torn between "tin snips" or "carpet scissors" or "pruning shears." Probably sticking to 1-handed versions.

Due to bulk and rust (even "titanium / stainless steel" ones), they'll probably mostly remain on the boat on most dives. They'll mostly be broken out for more serious work, like a pile of anchors. I'm currently looking at these 3: carpet shears | pruning shears 1 | pruning shears 2. Or maybe I could just carry them and see if they rust "for science" since they're only about $25 each.

edit: I bought pruning shears 2

Wow, that kind of mess - particularly in bad visibility is a significant hazard. Steel chain and cable is a real issue. I would most definitely have a large serrated knife with me. That is what you want for rope. You can coat the blade in Vaseline if you want to make it completely corrosion proof - between uses. I would buy a $4 knife at Walmart and replace frequently, If you are worried about stabbing yourself in bad visibility with it, you probably shouldn't be diving there.

If I could not see a couple of feet (when the silt clears) I would not be diving (on purpose) around that kind of anchor entanglement - with cable etc.
I agree.

I'm okay with literal-zero-vis and up to 3 anchors with ropes, so long as I have lots of air and take my time. You will end up making a few unnecessary cuts, wasting time and effort, but would have plenty of air (and redundant-air) if you properly plan it. If you get entangled, there aren't many ropes you'd have to deal with.

That mess in the video looks like a death-trap by itself, but even worse with what looks like 3 inches of silt. It would be near impossible to avoid stirring up silt, especially the moment you try pulling on any of the anchors or ropes. (If there was a $3000 anchor in that pile, I know something that would work, but you're talking about an entire day's work, 8+ tanks of air, lots of patience, and potentially having to come back another day)

As far as steel chain and cable, my plan at this time is to just not deal with it.

Dang, after watching that video I can see why you're looking for something with a bit more capability. I'd love to get down to Lake Travis some time.

Dang, after watching that video I can see why you're looking for something with a bit more capability. I'd love to get down to Lake Travis some time.
That's my friend's video, but I come across stuff like that frequently. I'm usually cool diving with anyone, but I have limited access, and can't volunteer my friend's boat. Most of the treasure-spots in Lake Travis are only easily accessible by boat. I am currently trying to find a way to access some of the sites from shore, perhaps pay a private property owner with a dock in the area.

There are two dive parks (Windy Point & at the Dam, although you're probably not finding loot at either. There is also an Austin Dive charter as well, which hits up the loot spots, but you're spending about $55 (plus parking and fills I think).

No experience with this knife, but I may pick one up for diving or other use.

Here you go... might need a tender but you'll be fine in the unlikely event of an underwater forest.

There is supposed to be one off the east side of Mercer Island. Did do a dive some years back, but couldn't find it. But if we did, that sure would come in handy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom