Multiple Certs / Multiple Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The instructor is the biggest factor in a class, but there are big differences between agencies as well - in all courses that I've ever examined.

Keep in mind, the instructor learned what to teach and how from a particular agency. If his agency doesn't teach it, it's not likely he knows it. Agency does matter if you care about learning.

In most cases, it is the instructor not the agency in my view. Many of the instructors and dive professionals have multiple certs with different agencies. And it isn't always "easy cross-overs". I am not even a dive professional yet and I carry certs from two different agencies. (And yes, IANTD and SSI do teach slightly different philosphies) In some cases, for business reasons they choose on agency over another.

IE. We had a shop open up with a gentleman who was an instructor at the LDS that I use. He thought about SSI from what I understand, but SSI doesn't allow more than one SSI shop within a certain distance of each other and this instructor would have been opening his between two SSI shops within that range. So, he opened up as a NAUI shop.

Recreational diving doesn't change that much between the major agencies.

I have read comments on poor YMCA, NAUI, SSI, etc. instructors. I have read good about instructors from the same agencies. I have seen good PADI instructors, I have heard of poor PADI/ NAUI/ SSI instruction and seen the results with silted up quarries, dangling gear on divers, and people who can't control their descent enough to keep from damaging their ears. (I try not to observe those classes, I have enough to do to keep a good attitude.) I have seen PADI instructors who will tell a student to either come back or not get their card as they aren't confident in the students once they turn them loose. Keep in mind this is with somewhat limited experience in "dive politics".

If you are concerned about agency differences, the best bet may be to take multiple courses from different agencies if you feel that you are missing something. (Although my SSI Deep Diving that I have the books for reads entirely different from agency that I did learn to deep dive from.) But, PLEASE, if you find an instructor who works for you, I would encourage the diver to stay with that person regardless of affiliation.

I couldn't agree more. The instructor makes all the difference in how you learn. Teaching is teaching period end of story. I don't care if you wrote the damn book, if you can't teach it to me I don't want to hear it. Go with the instructor that teaches the best to the way that you learn. Do go for the easy way out but find out how you learn, it will help you through diving and life.

I have to agree with all of the instructor comments. However, you should note that agencies do not recognize classes taken with other agencioes. If you want to progress to master SCUBA diver someday. You will have to have all of your specalities aquired in one agency.

this is not quite true. As I noted in another thread. I started out in PADI and switched to NAUI with full recognition of the certifications that I had. I believe that this is true of most agencies.

I will also note here that it is quite common for instructors to do crossovers to other agencies once they achieve their initial instructor rating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom