Muskegon man rescues 12-year-old diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The report on this story raises more questions than it answers.

If anyone finds out any more information, I'd be very interested to know the details.

Jeff

jtoorish:
The report on this story raises more questions than it answers.

If anyone finds out any more information, I'd be very interested to know the details.

Jeff

I spoke with some divers that were at Baptist and this was a OW class and have heard the diver is fine.

I agree, the news story about the 12 year old diver raises a lot of questions. As reported it almost sounds like the kid was alone. I would think a diver that young would have a buddy almost joined at the hip.
I want to read a decent account of the incident.
Rex

I have spoke too two divers that were there they were not involved in the class but one did help in the rescue and one saw the incident from the shore. From there perspective the class was a real CF and they witnessed two other dives have major problems one panicking at the surface b/c there BC would not inflate or they were hitting the deflate instead of inflate. The story they heard was the boy got tangled in a line and the **** hit the fan. There was also mention that it took a few tries to get him up (this info is second hand from people I do not know but the first part is from people I know and trust). The lake has a old pontoon at 15’ for the main platform and then lines running out to other boats from there. I know an instructor that has done hundreds of OW’s there and I myself have done many this is a very safe site and I have never seen or even heard of a problem.

RLarsen:
I agree, the news story about the 12 year old diver raises a lot of questions. As reported it almost sounds like the kid was alone. I would think a diver that young would have a buddy almost joined at the hip.
I want to read a decent account of the incident.
Rex

There was a 12 year old in my daughter's OW class. According to the father, he was required to be present at all times. The first thing that caught my attention was that the child appeared to be diviing without the parent.

When my 11 year old got certified, I was not allowed in the water with the class. To me that makes sense. As far as age is concerned both my child, and her friend are excellent divers, regardless of age... !

Unfortunately some parents can't be there for the kids training. I work on a tug boat and am gone for 28 days at a time.

It makes sense for the parents not to in the water during cert. That way there's no conflict of who is in charge, ie: the instructor. We stayed on shore for this very reason when our daughter got her o/w cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom