My 10 year old wants to dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanx to everybody for your input. I think for now Mini Deep-6 will be limited to the pool missions until he's a little older and bigger. That way he can continue to work on snorkeling and swimming skills while still getting aquainted the equipment and the concepts important in diving. I'm still open to any other input.

Different agencies have differing standards. Some standard which you might want to consider for gaining confidence in the water are:

1. A timed swim. ACUC requires 14 lengths in ten minutes;
2. A snorkel bail-out as described by dumpsterDiver;
3. A scuba bail-out: jump into the pool with all scuba gear in-hand, but none of it on. Open your tank valve underwater, begin to breathe on the reg, and put on all of your gear underwater;
4. 75 foot swim underwater wearing fins only. Begin in the shallow end, swim the length of the pool and without surfacing, locate your tank in the deep end, open the valve, begin to breathe, and put on all of your gear;
5. Buddy breathe the length of the pool from one person's gear. At the other end, switch donor and recipient, and swim back; and
6. Rescue your buddy who is unconscious in the deep end. Practice partially filling their BC and rising with them in a slow, controlled ascent, dumping air from their BC as required. It is especially instructive if you mess up and fill your BC instead, then lose control of the "victim" - they sink to the bottom as you rise to the top. This is why you fill the victim's BC, not yours.

Hi Deep 6 - My daughter just turned 11 in December and while on in Mexico last week obtained her certification. This was not planned (or encouraged by me at the time), however the instructor felt she was capable both physically and emotionally to dive. He proved to be correct, as she had no difficulties demostrating all the skills. To watch her dive on the reef was one of my proudest moments and I look forward to many more. Having said that, I will ensure her progress is slow and future dives very simple and shallow. In most cases, that is enough to satisfy them until they have the experience and maturity to take on more. On the plus side, she is the only one in her school that is certified (a huge ego boost)! On the negative, it is probably going to cost me a forture in diving equipment and trips...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom