My Blacktip Leaked Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm super bummed. I got a good dive in without any indication something was wrong. I purchased my BT in Sept 2023, so it's less than a year old. I drop in for dive 2 and it won't turn on. I immediately surface and hand it back up to the boat. After the dive, I open it up and see moisture on my batteries. The batteries look fine after pulling them out. There's definitely water at the bottom in the circuitry. I dump out maybe a 1/4 cup of water.

Just to note, I do a lot of photography and am religious about cleaning o-rings. My o-rings for the BT were cleaned and lubed before this dive. I haven't inspected them yet, I was pretty tired after getting home.

I sent a message to DiveX, let's see what they say. Wish me luck.

It might be the shaft seal. I had a small leak in one of my blacktops that resulted in one of the bearings rusting and seizing up. I never had a noticeable amount of water inside the dpv, so I’m pretty sure it was the shaft seal and the majority of the leakage was contained to the tail section.

... am religious about cleaning o-rings.
Hopefully no damaged electrical components. We do some steep dives with plenty of action. But I hate having it in the back of my mind after a fix/repair. I just want my stuff to work all the time, every time and I'll pay anything to trust 100% my equipment. Hope you find the leaker.

There is a vacuum tester available for the Blacktip. Try to borrow one and see how the vacuum holds up; they're around $500 to buy.

There's another thread about Blacktip leaks today -

They saw that I purchased a vacuum bulkhead with the BT and asked me to test it. It is not holding vacuum, so that eliminates the cone. I pulled the o-rings back o-rings and could not find any hair or sand. I reinstalled the o-rings after giving them a good finger rub and tested the vacuum again, it still failed. I don't think it's the tube o-rings.

I don't like using the vacuum bulkhead because it adds so much weight. I've used the BT without the vacuum bulkhead for about 8 months, almost every weekend. So that we maximize room on the boat, we sit the DPV's up on the tail. With the bulkhead, the DPV has a tendency to fall. Without the bulkhead, it's far more stable when sitting upright on the tail.

It might be the shaft seal. I had a small leak in one of my blacktops that resulted in one of the bearings rusting and seizing up. I never had a noticeable amount of water inside the dpv, so I’m pretty sure it was the shaft seal and the majority of the leakage was contained to the tail section.
I assume this would be covered under warranty if it were the issue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom