My camera club roped me into giving a presentation on UW photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent ideas all. One thing you need to mention is that the photographer has to have lots of patience. Hard to do when you want to get a shot of a particular fish. Even more so, your dive buddy must have even more patience than you do, they have to wait around while you are taking pictures. There aren't any tripods to sit your camera on, so when you are in a surge, taking pics that are framed and focused can be challenging. Tell them to pick up their camera, now sway back and forth plus and minus 1 to 2 ft. Don't stop swaying, now take your picture. Fun isn't it?

Enjoy your presentation, and remember this, in your group, even if you are a new underwater photographer, you are the expert in this environment.

Thanks guys. That was really helpful. Yes, it is a CAMERA club with some very good photographers, but since I am a new member and the only one who takes photos underwater, I am considered a "novelty" thus the invitation to speak. I think concentrating on the difference between above ground and uw is the way to go.

I also have some stories about stalking the wildlife and and always being ready (my surprise encounter with the elusive leopard shark in Thailand that I first thought was a nurse shark :rofl3: and surge and current when shooting whalesharks.

This is right but you can do better. ALL colours disappear beginning at the red end of the spectrum. So red goes first, then orange, then yellow etc etc, the deeper you go. It's a shrinking/disappearing rainbow. :wink:

I think I'm going to steal that disappearing rainbow analogy. :rofl3:

Something I point out when I give talks on underwater video is that so few people get to see what's Underwater that there is more interest among the general public in seeing U/W photos/video than seeing other garden variety images. So your opportunities to have a larger audience are greater.

Furthermore, there are a lot of do-gooder projects going on underwater that don't get much press, or if they do get mainstream press, there are usually not photos or video. There are many opportunities for U/W photographers to help more people "see" these worthwhile causes.

This is right but you can do better. ALL colours disappear beginning at the red end of the spectrum. So red goes first, then orange, then yellow etc etc, the deeper you go. It's a shrinking/disappearing rainbow. :wink:

You know, I found the coolest graphic online that I used in my presentation. I named the slide "The Disappearing Rainbow." It was perfect.
rainbow.png

I pretty much finished the presentation yesterday but I have to tweak it a little. That is what I did all day (in between surfing of course:rofl3:)instead of going food shopping or making dinner. I told my son that I was an awful mother.:D At least I got the laundry done. I don't have to give the presentation until 11/27 but I wanted to not wait until the last minute for a change. Besides, I have to get ready for Australia.

Nice graphic! Glad to have been of help! :D

Break a leg!

You know, I found the coolest graphic online that I used in my presentation. I named the slide "The Disappearing Rainbow." It was perfect.
rainbow.png

You may run into a bit of copyright issues...because that is the City Flag of San Francisco, California and come to find out Mr. Pakman as well, not that there is anything wrong with that. :no

wow, my own online stalker... everything OK on the homefrom f3? wife OK? You seem a little bitter lately...

You may run into a bit of copyright issues...because that is the City Flag of San Francisco, California and come to find out Mr. Pakman as well, not that there is anything wrong with that. :no

Actually, it's from this website:
Google Image Result for http://www.duuc.org/rainbow.png

It does say it's copyrighted but I can ask them for permission to use it. Do mean Pakman the computer game?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom