My comparison between DR standard size plate and H small plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Reference to this thread from a few weeks ago

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/418921-halcyon-small-plate-size.html

I was trying to switch from a Dive Rite standsard size plate to a smaller size plate. I acquired a Halcyon small plate. I picked the H plate for a few reasons 1)steep band angle, so 1st stage is further away from my head. 2) narrow than DR/Oxycheq small plate. I can't find DSS plate size on their website. But since I want something with steep band, so I think DSS may not be a good choice either. So here I got them both in front of me. So I guess I show some photos comparisom and initial thought about them.

First picture. H small plate vs DR standard plate. Both manufactures website did a good job of showing the dimensions and weight. Halcyon is 14"(L) x 9.5"(W at bottom), 8" at the top where the hole is. Weight 4lb 2oz. DR is 15.5" (L) x 10.5" (W at the bottom), 9" at the top where hole is. Weight is 5lb 1oz. Even all the dimesnion is within 1.5" of each other. The small size plate looks noticeably smaller.
WP_000027.jpg

Picture 2 and 3 show the high of the band when both lay fast on a glass table. This number is something that doesn't show in manufacture's website. DR's is 1-1/8". Halcyon (despite being size small) is 1-3/4". Again, small difference in measurement, but very noticeable in person. This makes the tank (1st stage) about 1/2" further from my head.

WP_000045.jpgWP_000046.jpg

Pictures 4 and 5 show the main reason I am making the switch. It the length from the bottom edge to the top hole. It basically dictates how high (or how low) the tank will be if I wear the plate so that the bottom edge is just above my hip bone. DR is 13.5". H small is 12-3/4". So I will gain 3/4" inch of head clearance.
WP_000058.jpgWP_000061.jpg

Initial test dive with the H plate shows improvement for head clearance. The narrow width of the plate also makes the rig feel more stable on my back because the waist harness "wrap" around me more.

This is what I have so far. The DR plate is sold to a member here and will be sent out tomorrow. It servied me well. I hope I won't miss it.

Nice. Thanks for the info. My wife wants to get certified, and she is tiny, 5'3" 100lbs, and I think this plate will work good for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom