My Coz Trip, April 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM:
Hmm. That's an interesting observation. Certainly one sees a certain amount of restaurant turnover anywhere you go - it's the nature of the business. It would be interesting if Scubawife or anyone else with tourism/hospitality industry creds could substantiate that this can be chalked up to greater use of hotel meal plans.

While I'd rather poke needles in my eyes than stick to a diet of hotel buffets, I can understand why a family travelling with a bunch of kids of varying ages would not be anxious to scavange 3 meals a day in town for the hungry sparrows, I doubt that this type of traveller ever did head into town for their meals on any but the rarest of occasions.

I stay and eat in town and frequent places favoured by the locals, meaning they are east of 15th (and more likely, east of 30th and pushing 60th). They always seem full - but maybe because they aren't dependent on the AI or cruise crowd.

In Cozumel what's had an impact on businesses on the island has been the months right after Wilma with little of no tourist and then a lighter then usual high season. Factor in the loss of business with cost of repairs and the usual overhead and there will be restaurants and shops that just can't afford to stay in business. There always have been and always will be people who purchase meals plans. Those who stay in the southern AI's, for the most part were never going into town to eat anyway. Those who buy plans at hotels north of Fiesta Americana often do so just for the convenience of breakfast and lunch, which they would eat at the hotel anyway.

There are also a few restaurants that have been mentioned on this board and other Cozumel boards who's leases were up for renewal and the rent increases along with the needed repairs and no business made it impossible for them to continue. In any destination that relies heavily on tourism there are a handful of places that seem to have been around forever and you know they will be there every time you visit. There are others that turnover as leases are up.

Coz Sally:
I'm trying to think of a single Cozumel restaurant that has remained closed since Wilma and I can't come up with even one. Oops, Temptations. There's one.

Present taxi rates have been in effect since January 1, 2002. Shhhh! Don't tell the taxi union. The fare "into town" depends on where you start.

Thanks for the report, Leadweight. Even though I live here, I always like to see Cozumel through other eyes!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

Ernestos's and Mesa 17 did not reopen. Is Acuaria (sp) opened?

redhatmama:
I thought the Casa Del Mar was closer to town (north?). We paid only $2.50 from Villa Aldora also in the north. It helps to have good legs when you're flagging down a cab. :laughing:
Great another Villa Aldora Fan. We are headed there in June for a week Taking my 10 yr old grandson diving. (His first Ocean Dive) He is so excited! How did you like their pool? I was there in feb before it was painted. Kathy in Texas

Kathy, the pool is great for relaxing with a drink. I thought the ocean better for swimming. Just jump off the pier. The other guests were fantastic and we spent almost every evening outside talking with someone. Since you've stayed there before, you know Greg and Kay are great hosts. :D

I'm sure Mario will take good care of your grandson. Mario just had a new baby!

I absolutely stand corrected. Ernesto's and Acuario both closed as a result of Wilma. Mesa 17 was another story entirely. All three, in addition to Temptations, are closed.

Sorry, my error.

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom