My fellow "rigger-uppers"!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willydiver

Reaction score
Just came across this site and DIY thread. I'm new to the name "DIY" but not to making my own gear/additions/improvements, etc. Does anybody else buy a new piece of gear, just to get it home and figure out how to make it better? Or maybe pour through dive equipment catalogs just to find a potential "reverse-engineering" project to occupy your evenings? Will you drive all over town for certain essential components for a project, just to end up spending more money in gas than it would have taken to buy two of whatever it is you're trying to build? But ahhhhh, the satisfaction of knowing YOU built the thing! I've been diving since 12, but I know it's the fascination with these DIY projects that adds a ton of enjoyment for me. That and chasing relics and fossils. Anyway, glad to find this page and a group of fellow riggers. Here's a few of my projects: acrylic/aluminum reel, PVC/stainless reel, and a "sawed-off" bang stick and holster (PVC) I made to ward off those big lizards that like to bump you in the blackwater...
WD
Coastal GA

nice projects - looks like you'll fit in really well around here :wink: - I know what you mean about the cost etc. I work on a project and after all the time and spare parts realize I could have bought it already - but this one is mine. Of course sometimes you make something no one else sells or what they sell just isn't quite what you want. And then there are those wonderful times when DIY saves a bundle (Like the PVC STA I just finished - spent maybe $10 including 2 tank cam bands instead of $80 like the manufacturer wanted)

Welcome to Scubaboard and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have

Tim

Thanks Tim. Got my first taste of diving (snorkeling) when I was 12 at Hanauma Bay on a family trip. Hooked ever since. Still get some clear water diving in but mostly river and coastal blackwater around GA and FL chasing goodies. Man I can spend hours reading the archives to this website on all kinds of projects that I've had in mind (DPVs, backplates, softweights, etc.). And not to mention alot of new ones...... Not enough time in the day!! I'll post some simple tricks I use in dive equipment later. Really enjoying the site.
WD

I think I was about the same age when I first snorkeled Hanauma bay - a friend and I caught the bus out from the Waianae coast, took 2-3 hours with all the transfers and spent the day out there - it's probably been 10 - 15 years since I've been there now. I think they actually close it certain days to give the reef a rest for the past several years.

Tim

willydiver:
Just came across this site and DIY thread. I'm new to the name "DIY" but not to making my own gear/additions/improvements, etc. Does anybody else buy a new piece of gear, just to get it home and figure out how to make it better? Or maybe pour through dive equipment catalogs just to find a potential "reverse-engineering" project to occupy your evenings? Will you drive all over town for certain essential components for a project, just to end up spending more money in gas than it would have taken to buy two of whatever it is you're trying to build? But ahhhhh, the satisfaction of knowing YOU built the thing! I've been diving since 12, but I know it's the fascination with these DIY projects that adds a ton of enjoyment for me. That and chasing relics and fossils. Anyway, glad to find this page and a group of fellow riggers. Here's a few of my projects: acrylic/aluminum reel, PVC/stainless reel, and a "sawed-off" bang stick and holster (PVC) I made to ward off those big lizards that like to bump you in the blackwater...
WD
Coastal GA

Yes. I was told some time ago that "OMS reels are crap. Throw yours away." I asked "Why is it crap? If it's correctable ...". Anywho, I later learned they are "crap" because the spindle is welded to the frame and if the weld breaks the reel dis-assembles. Now, "how many times has that ever happened?" you might ask. Well, I asked the same question and was told, by the person describing the weakness, "I've seen it happen twice .. both times the reel failed underwater."

I've since cut the spindle off, drilled through the frame and used a locked-down threaded rod to attach the spool. I also installed a "device" to prevent the line from jumping the spool and settling between the frame and spool.

Green,
Nice improvement on the reel. Think of the confidence you now have in your equipment and you've got yourself to thank. Now that's satisfying. I try and use mechanical fastening methods like bolts when possible in a project. Not to discount welds. When done properly by a pro. they are stronger than the adjacent base metal. I have the means to make small stainless/aluminum welds but myself am no welding professional. It's hard to beat a good old stainless bolt.
WD

willydiver:
Green,
Nice improvement on the reel. Think of the confidence you now have in your equipment and you've got yourself to thank. Now that's satisfying. I try and use mechanical fastening methods like bolts when possible in a project. Not to discount welds. When done properly by a pro. they are stronger than the adjacent base metal. I have the means to make small stainless/aluminum welds but myself am no welding professional. It's hard to beat a good old stainless bolt.
WD

Ha. Funny thing is that when I described to a friend what I was planning he offered to remove the spindle by "breaking the bead" and then twisting it off. The weld was stronger than the spindle and all that happened is the spindle sheared. I then had no choice but to complete the project. It took me quite some time to cut through the remaining portion of the spindle and the weld-bead. Then I had to smooth the area with a file, then drill it, then ....

It was an experience :dazzler1:

Oh yes, I've done it many times before. I've made video camera housings, canister lights, O2 alalizers and spring fin straps. Check out my DIY site for pictures and instructions on some of the stuff I've built and check out the pictures of the lights others have made. Feel free to join add pictures of anything you've built.

THANKS PADIPRO!! That site is awesome. I just found the thread with some component sources for cord, cable glands, stainless latches, etc.. I've Googled like crazy and was having a tough time making progress on sources for projects. I use a Wreck light from Dive Rite and love it, so it might be a while before I tackle a light project. But I've been looking for a cable gland source for a DPV project. Trying to run the trolling motor wires through the 8" PVC battery cannister. Any suggestions on a waterproof momentary switch source?
WD

Green_Manelishi:
I also installed a "device" to prevent the line from jumping the spool and settling between the frame and spool.

Ooohhh sweet. Got a picture of that?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom