My first trip out in the Gulf!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I grew up in Clearwater and started diving after we moved to NYC so we haven't done the Gulf yet and will be in Tampa at the start of April for a wedding. Maybe we will look those guys up. But yikes, 62f! If it's that cold I might dive it dry. Do you think a dry suit would look out of place on a Florida boat? Perhaps it will warm up a bit by April 1st...

Hey jviehe, we went to FSU and worked in Tally for a while after college. How's the good ole capital doing these days?

Same old. still building roads, which brings more cars, so they build more roads, which brings more cars, etc. Hot college girls everywhere though still. yippee

Sorry it took me so long to reply cdiver2! Nice to find someone in my neck of the woods even though I'm moving to Countryside this weekend. I only know the name of one of the spots we dove, it was Veterans Reef. I think Captain Mac tries to keep things pretty secretive, understandably so, but it's where 3 barges were sunk. That one, IMO, wasn't very great, the reef we went to first was really nice. If your planning on going let me know when and I'll try to make it too. I'm getting a second job to support my diving habit! LOL!

Ok Mandy agree on that dive site it is the worst one in this area. A few good ones to ask about. Horse shoe ledge, Stanleys ledge, Mast head ledge, 12' ledge, Sheridon, CJs ledge, Chemical barge, PTO, LSM, South Jack ledge, South pinnelas artificial reef ( saw 24 Jew fish on this at one time), Shrimp barge and the Meca. I will drop you a E the next dive but Im a wimp now got used to the warm warters.
David

Sounds good, looking forward to meeting you once the water warms up a little more or I get a thicker wetsuit!

Mandy,

Congratulations on your first Gulf dive. The water has stayed real cold in spite of the air temp warming up to 80 degrees. It'll be quickly shooting up within the next couple of weeks. I dove last weekend and made the mistake of grabbing the 5 mil, but could have still used my 7.

I have to ask, where in the world did you find a ledge that is 40 at the top and 57 at the bottom of the break. You have discovered a spot that is one of a kind for a non-Middle Grounds spot. Out in the Grounds, you can get a 40' break, but most ledges closer to shore are around 2' breaks. I have a couple of spots that are considered big ledges that make it to 8'. A 17' break inshore, never seen or even heard of anything close to that. I doubt you saw much fish on it. Big breaks are easy for passing fishermen to spot on their recorder, so they get heavily fished. I won't even dive on a big inshore break. My best spots for fish are little 1 - 2' areas of relief that don't attract a lot of attention.

By the way, look out for those kingfishermen. They scare me, as they are known to drag downriggers through the water column. Imagine getting clocked upside the head by a round 8 pound downrigger weight? For you guys that like to dive public wrecks around the St. Pete-Clearwater-Pasco area, get used to it. The kings have just made their way back through for their annual spring migration north. They are just tricking in now with the water still cold, but let it rise a few more degrees and it'll be a zoo. I won't even dive public wrecks during kingfish season. For spearfishermen, keep those eyes open during your safety stop, and you may have a chance to get a kingfish up in the water column .

One other thing....don't mean to preach, but swimming through a wreck, no matter how open it looked, is not a wise move, especially for someone doing one of their first dives. There could have been a lot of mono or flourocarbon, or other leader material that were entanglement hazards. I'm usually not one to preach given my aggressive style of diving, but that's my .02 for what it's worth.

ItsMandy227:
Sorry it took me so long to reply cdiver2! Nice to find someone in my neck of the woods even though I'm moving to Countryside this weekend. I only know the name of one of the spots we dove, it was Veterans Reef. I think Captain Mac tries to keep things pretty secretive, understandably so, but it's where 3 barges were sunk. That one, IMO, wasn't very great, the reef we went to first was really nice. If your planning on going let me know when and I'll try to make it too. I'm getting a second job to support my diving habit! LOL!

I hate secrets. Heres the coords on the Veterans Reef
28 02.98N 83 00.741W

http://marinefisheries.org/ar/Report_List_ROWS.asp?county=Pinellas

scubadobadoo:
Hey jviehe, we went to FSU and worked in Tally for a while after college. How's the good ole capital doing these days?

The one thing that's probably changed is that they ripped out Pensacola street! It's GONE from Chapel hill to Woodward.

Yeah, they rerouted it. I try not to go west of Monroe.

Hi Mandy!

It's way too cold in the Gulf for a 3 mm suit this time of year. I'm glad you had a good time, but you need a thicker suit for Gulf diving. Let's plan a trip to the Sheridan this summer when it's warm.

Walter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom