My First Whales of the Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Went diving on the West shore off The Beach today. Conditions were pretty good. The plan was to dive the Mahi and then the lava tubes. So we go to the Mahi first.

Vis was about 60-70 feet. Looking at the wreck and thinking of how it was when I first dove it back in 2001 - WOW! what a difference!!! Top cabin gone, totem pole gone, the side caved in, but boy was the place alive. Just a few of the highlights. The puffers were hanging out at the mast

mastpuffers.jpg

A frogfish hanging out

commerson.jpg

leaf scorpionfish

leafpinkHM103.jpg

Eels, cleaner shrimp etc and then a school of eagle rays glided by

rogerraysii.jpg

On the surface interval we were in for a treat...whales! The first whales of this season for me. I think there were 2, a mama and a calf. With a flick of the tail they were gone.

justafilpandsaygood-bye.jpg

This was my last dive for a while I hope that the next time I get in the water I will hear them sing....do love that whale song :)

Pictures taken with an olympus stylus 400 on previous dives

I am so jealous, you are so lucky. For me the best thing that could happen is for me to be able to dive with whales.

Charles

:diver:

Awesome. Three friends and I dove the LCU and Beechcraft last Saturday (the LCU is about .5 miles North of the Mahi) and we heard the whales singing loudly the whole dive. Nothing on the surface though.

I love eagle rays! That is a big group too.

So, ...what is a group of rays called anyway? not a school or a pod....a what?

I have always called them a squadron.

excellent...I like it.

Have you ever seen so many at once? Cause I have only seen five. And usually ...three.

Aquanautchuck:
I am so jealous, you are so lucky. For me the best thing that could happen is for me to be able to dive with whales.

Charles

:diver:

Sadly (but a good thing in some cases) we are prohibited by law to approach the whales - 100yard distance. If they approach you it would be another thing.

I hear Tonga is the place to be able to do that though :14:

On my final Dolphin cert dive, off Key Largo, 9 eagle rays avoided me casually as I came up out of a groove. The leader rose up enough to just clear my head, his two wing riders vearing slightly outward. Just then my instructor exhaled from below and behind me (on scuba) and my shoulder was grazed by a wing as they bolted in every direction. Because I was not certified yet I was not allowed to take a camera. I dropped a bundle on 16 more rebreather dives, resulting in astonishing photos, but alas no squadron shots. Nice photos Leesa!

Back
Top Bottom