My Gear is Gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that you'll be fine, I've always used a scheduled policy on my homeowners policy and in 30 years I've had two claims ... they were not handled quickly, I had to stay on them, but in the end they were handled fairly.

Don't kick yourself over the delay, if you'd had DAN insurance they'd still wait for your homeowners to come through because their coverage is secondary.

Your GPS may be covered on your regular homeowners, did you buy it recently with a credit card? Sometimes there's secondary coverage there too.

Most likely the GPS is covered under my renters policy, but the deductable on that is higher than the GPS so it is not really worth it. I will check on how I paid for it. I think it was with my debit card/ or cash, so I think I'm out of luck there also.
I'm just really happy that I should get my camera stuff replaced.

Couple of thoughts on insurance and records. It is really easy to set up a spreadsheet with item, cost, serial number, etc. I even scan the receipts and store them in a different worksheet. State Farm is really easy to work with, and they like this approach.

I just have to encrypt it so my wife doesn't know what I spend on camera/diving gear!

I also checked with DAN about their coverage, and the premiums were about 25% higher.

Hope everything works out,

Dan

State Farm contacted me today regarding my claim and a check will be in the mail tomorrow morning. I am extremely happy with them and actually a bit surprised by how quick they were. The claim was started last week on Wednesday, I faxed them the police report on Friday afternoon and on Monday they contacted me with payout info and said a check would be sent in the morning. They priced the Canon 40D as part of my payout for both the camera body and ikelite housing since Canon doesn't make the 20D anymore. All in all, I think they were extremely responsive and fair. Now I'm just trying to make decisions on what to buy. I'm thinking about getting the Nikon D300 instead of the Canon 40D. Decisions are soooo difficult.

State Farm contacted me today regarding my claim and a check will be in the mail tomorrow morning. I am extremely happy with them and actually a bit surprised by how quick they were. The claim was started last week on Wednesday, I faxed them the police report on Friday afternoon and on Monday they contacted me with payout info and said a check would be sent in the morning. They priced the Canon 40D as part of my payout for both the camera body and ikelite housing since Canon doesn't make the 20D anymore. All in all, I think they were extremely responsive and fair. Now I'm just trying to make decisions on what to buy. I'm thinking about getting the Nikon D300 instead of the Canon 40D. Decisions are soooo difficult.
That's been my experience and the experience of almost everyone I've ever talked to ab out the issue. That's why I don't bother with DAN and DEEP and other such secondary insurance, far better to make sure that your primary coverage is what you need it to be.

I'm thinking about getting the Nikon D300 instead of the Canon 40D. Decisions are soooo difficult.

They are both fantastic cameras. The Nikon maybe has a slight edge, but comes in about $500 bucks more.

I'd be very tempted by the D300 if I didn't already have a collection of Canon lenses (and recently picked up a 40D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom