My Impression of the Back Inflate vs. Jacket Style vs. BP/Wings Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have moved from a Mares Frontier WI to a DUI Delta back inflate bare bones fully adjustable WI BC. It has taken some time to get used to the back inflate style, face first push at surface, but my LDS instructor gave me some hints to help this. I enjoyed the jacket style very much, but being a big guy, I didn't like the pressure (when inflated) on my stomach/chest etc. I really find my underwater postioning is now excellent (feels that way, don't know what it looks like). So I believe some will evolve to the BP/harness, back inflate or stay with the traditional jacket style. It is personal preference and as long as we are all diving safe...who really cares what we wear??

Perhaps no one should care, but the BP vs everything else is the most debated thing around here. Number two does not even come close.

leadweight once bubbled...
Perhaps no one should care, but the BP vs everything else is the most debated thing around here. Number two does not even come close.

That's actually a good point. I don't care, unless you are my dive buddy or someone for whom I'm responsible. I also don't care about motorcyclists who don't wear helmets, drivers who don't wear seatbelts or anyone else who elects to do things in a less than optimal manner.

That doesn't mean that I won't advocate the appropriate solution when asked.

SeaJay,

With your much experience in jacket style BC's what is your opinion with with the new Aqualung Seaquest Pro IQ3?

Welcome to the board Mike.
As you can see, this is a very old thread and has been dead for some time. Seajay is long gone from the board. For what it's worth, he as still a rookie when he wrote this. This is a never ending debate....... dive them all and choose the one you like the best.

Thanks Herman,

I appreciate your feedback. Myself, being that I'm doing my certification this weekend I've been very curious about a lot of things.

I really like the Balance by Seaquest; fits like a charm on dry land it gives more flexibility on the sides. However, I haven't dived with it yet. I do know that I will dive with a back BC on Saturday.

I was just cruising looking at a lot of different BC and I really like the IQ3 technology. But since it's so new everyone is against it not knowing too much about it.

I will probably just go with the balance but if I could only get some real feedback from a member that owns it I would be so much happier in making my choice.

So far I've read that the back inflator pushes you forward almost to a horizontal position while underwater, that's a plus in my book.

Also I like that you don't feel the bulk on your sides; however it's nice to have pockets on the side and easily attached extras.

Well, we just have to sit and wait for a user to pop up...

I have been looking for a new BDC and I like the sounds of this one. Oceanic Outrigger Back Inflate BCD. Its a weight integrated back BCD with 15 LBS inflateable in the front strapes. Has anyone tried this BCD or have a comment?

Ziggy11

No offense to the new guys cruising the board, but could someone lock this thread and let SeaJay stay in the past?

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom