my intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading this board for probably the past month, and I thought I'd post an intro, and to say thanks for all of the really useful information.

I'm a newly minted PADI OW diver. Right now the only equipment that I've gotten other than my OW class gear is a sunnto vyper wrist computer (recommended by many on this board). I'm spending a lot of time trying to slog through all of the different opinions about gear and come up with what I want to buy, and also when I want to buy it. My equipment wish list is currently looking something like:

- Apeks ATX-200+DIN DS4+Yoke Adaptor+AT-40 octo+brass SPG+hoses+divealert+hoses.

- Suunto SK7 compass, Halcyon scout backup light, knife, slate

- either a UK Light Cannon or one of the Halcyon HID lights (the issue here is mostly cost)

- Halcyon Pioneer or Eclipse Wings (plus backplate, yadda, yadda)

- Some kinda DrySuit TBD (right now I'm leaning towards the ones from www.fifthd.com, which is local to me).

- Pressed Steel E8-130 or E7-100 tank (or both? two of each?)

I'm thinking that is roughly the order that I want to get it in as well. I'd really like to have my own reg setup. My last two open water dives for my cert were on a reg that didn't breathe very well and I'd like to get a really good one (along with considering all the comments on this board about rental regs not being trustworthy and such). The compass, light, knife and slate are also required for the AOW cert which is next on my list (and the primary light is a big cost question so I separated that out). Once I've got that equipment I can rent a BCD+suit+tank and go diving! I'm not sure when I should pull the trigger and buy the BCD+suit -- there is a part of me that just wants to buy it all right now, but I feel a bit overloaded with trying to make decisions about it. And the tanks will come last after I figure out what kind of diving I really want to do and what my needs are -- the choice is based on the E8-130 being really big and good to double up for a lot of air if I wind up going that route, or the E7-100 will hold 80 cf of air on 3000 psi in a small light tank (I'm 5'10" and 195lbs, which doesn't make me much of a delicate flower, so I'm leaning towards the E8-130s...)

One thing about the equipment config you may notice is that I'm giving in to the dark side of the force (DIR). Generally the DIR equipment config (and yes, i know that's just one part of DIR) makes a lot of sense and it seems like it'd be better than me wasting a lot of time and money experimenting for myself (the training and best practices also look like a really good a way to get better and safer at scuba much faster).

I've also been thinking about classes that I want to take. I think right now my plan is to take the PADI AOW class, followed by the SSI AOW and GUE DIR-F courses from fifthd. My plan right now is to take the PADI AOW course on rental suit+bcd and then to have my own equipment by the time I take the SSI AOW and DIR-F courses. I also think I want to take the DAN DEMP+BLSpro courses, followed up by a rescue course. I dont know where to go from there, other than I want to do some diving with some friends from work - outside of having any instructor overview - so I want to get to the level of competency where I feel comfortable doing that. I've even got one friend at work who has a boat and he'd be okay with taking a bunch of us out diving, although he doesn't dive himself. Of course all the various "specialty" c-courses are just about all interesting to me, so I'll probably try some of those out -- maybe after i get enough experience I'll even try some tech diving...

Another good thing about diving is that its helping me get serious about my excersize program again. I want to get my air consumption down, so I'm getting back on my running program again, and now I have a really good reason to push myself to go faster to push my lungs harder...

Right now I'm kind of stuck fantasizing about gear though for a little while longer because the friend of mine I'm planning on doing the AOW course with has some ear problems, and everyone at work is too busy right now...

wow .. that sure is an introduction and a half... looks like you have the next year or two planned already!

I would say before you buy much do a few dives ... get some experience underwater, if possible borrow / hire a backplate MC and take it diving see if it's what you want. Sure it will be able to grow as your diving extends, to twins, stage bottles or it's still great as a rec BC.

Sounds like you have a good idea about gear, looking at your list you are taking the lead from divers that have been there and done amazing things that I would never even want to try.

You will by the time you get to DIR-F want to have a backplate and regs but you shouldn't need them before then, I personally rented gear for the first year of diving before I bought my own backplate and regs.

A scout is a great backup light - easy win there, but for the main light - sure the HID is the way to go but it can wait as the cost is quite high. Maybe get some thing simple like an SL6 or SL4 for now - ok price and you wont stress too much should you lose it or when you replace/upgrade to HID it can still be useful.

Drysuit - depends on your diving and the depth again I would wait on this the other elements are more important. Tanks last on the list seems right.

When you purchase hoses, have a think about if you plan on using twins in the future and if you do I assume you would be looking at a long hose 7' which I believe is standard for the DIR-F course.

Welcome to the board, enjoy :)
and enjoy your diving, may your surface intervals be short and your tank be full

I don't know if I've got the next year or two planned, but I've got a little bit of direction. Really it doesn't feel like much of a plan at all. I mean before I took the OW course I mostly was thinking that wreck diving (non-penetration) would be the coolest thing. I thought the sealife would be cool, but I never thought about taking a fish identifcation course or anything like that. Now that I've done a dive though, it kinda sucked not knowing what any of the cool living **** that I saw was. So I just bought a bunch of books off of amazon (shameless plug because i work there) about Pacific fish, etc identification. I'm seriously thinking I should take an underwater naturalist course sooner rather than later now, when before I wasn't even interested in it. Plans will probably change...

As for most of the gear, yeah, I've taken the "all diving is tech diving" thing to heart. The main light is a hard one. Part of me thinks that having a really good light can only enhance your diving experince. The other part of me just recoils at spending over a thousand dollars on a light.

I hadn't thought about renting MCs or drysuits for some reason... I assume that most places would rent you equipment and knock off a few bucks if you bought it afterwards? I should add that my growing list of things to do...

As for hose configuration, I haven't figured out where I want to go with that. I figure doubles are still long enough in the future that they don't figure into it at all, even if i have to buy more hoses when I get there. I don't know about diving long hose when I haven't been trained for it, and when the people I'll be diving with are expecting something different. Of course I'll be doing it for the DIR-F class though..

heh, so i didn't realize the board had a censorship filter... that's kinda funny...

lamont once bubbled...
Now that I've done a dive though, it kinda sucked not knowing what any of the cool living **** that I saw was.

Back
Top Bottom