My Mammoth Femur Bone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are multiple ways of doing things, but the generally accepted one is slow drying then PVA or a similar consolidant;

I think I should mention that there is a difference in the structure between tusks and bones- tusks are simply modified incisors (lateral incisors I do believe but I could be mistaken) and therefor are technically speaking, not bones but teeth and the structure is not as porous as a bone (they're solid in most cases) and far less likely to structurally fail even if grossly mishandled.

Granted I’m no expert and it has been 5 years since I did the research
but I remember many Web sites that recommended that you not dry the fossil.
I remember their explanation to be, after sitting in water for 11,000 years we are
no longer talking about a bone. The bone has become a rock from the minerals in
the water. As the water evaporates the specimen degrades and begins to crumble.
I remember their recommendation was to slowly replace the water in the artifact
with a binding agent.
After 2 weeks of soaking my specimen did stabilize and stop crumbling.
Again I’m no expert, but I feel if I had just left this piece to sit all I would
have left is little shards, not a pristine bone specimen.
A nice reminder of a great cavern dive and a treat to an otherwise boring safety stop.

Thats why my peice is still in water... its got barnicals and sea growth on it.. something I'm not worried about taking off.. however, I am worried about it drying and crumbling. At some point I am sticking it near an ant hill for a day or so (its been raining a bit here) to clean up the dead stuff and then we'll start the preservation process.

CBulla:
Thats why my peice is still in water... its got barnicals and sea growth on it.. something I'm not worried about taking off.. however, I am worried about it drying and crumbling. At some point I am sticking it near an ant hill for a day or so (its been raining a bit here) to clean up the dead stuff and then we'll start the preservation process.

Might I suggest seeking professional help there in Fla from a local museum
or curator, I would hate too see a specimen like that become damaged.
And might I suggest you check on state laws concerning the removal and
possesion of this artifact. I think Fla has some specific laws on the books!

Best of luck and GREAT find!

Thank you for your concern, but people have been suggesting that to Colin for quite some time now. And while I believe he understands the necessity, I think he's just not interested. :)

Oh! With the fossil. Excellent advice.

Land Locked:
Might I suggest seeking professional help there

Excellent find there guys....(and gal). I hadn't been on the boards for sometime and Colin called yesterday and mentioned the bones that were found.

Wildbill:cop_2:

CBulla:

The bones I picked up last summer (none as large as yours, (that sounds strange)) I soaked in apple cider vinegar per local instruction and they cleaned right up.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom