My near-miss in the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't blame you or judge you THE Galapagos Islands? I'd dive with bag of cement blocks tied around my waist, a goat stomach full of air and a pair goggles if I had too.:D
Glad your OK.

Just a quick clarification on the refund issue. I've had a few people ask me how much I got back, and why I didn't ask for the whole amount back. What I asked for, and received from the booking agent within minutes of asking, was the cost of my husband's second day - the one he didn't go on - which was $170. I did not ask for more, and do not feel I should have. Hey, I did all four of MY dives! Yes, I got bum gear, and a good scare to boot, but I did the dives.

Some of my friends feel I should have asked for at least a partial refund for my dives as well, due to the defective equipment - I certainly didn't get what I paid for! And that's true, I didn't. Perhaps there's some justification for asking for more. But I'm not going to. Main reason? Because I wanted to post my account in here, and call out the dive op for their bad gear and sloppy practices. If I was to ask for more of a refund, that would call into question the integrity of my story. This dive op is putting divers at risk, and I would rather put out a warning to the dive community than get back a little money.

Just a quick clarification on the refund issue. I've had a few people ask me how much I got back, and why I didn't ask for the whole amount back. What I asked for, and received from the booking agent within minutes of asking, was the cost of my husband's second day - the one he didn't go on - which was $170. I did not ask for more, and do not feel I should have. Hey, I did all four of MY dives! Yes, I got bum gear, and a good scare to boot, but I did the dives.

Some of my friends feel I should have asked for at least a partial refund for my dives as well, due to the defective equipment - I certainly didn't get what I paid for! And that's true, I didn't. Perhaps there's some justification for asking for more. But I'm not going to. Main reason? Because I wanted to post my account in here, and call out the dive op for their bad gear and sloppy practices. If I was to ask for more of a refund, that would call into question the integrity of my story. This dive op is putting divers at risk, and I would rather put out a warning to the dive community than get back a little money.

This is called doing the Lords work. Hope people take heed.

"1. My method of checking the functionality of my BCD was pretty unscientific: once I was geared up, I pumped in some air. It seemed to hold it. Then I pressed the button to vent it. It seemed to come out. Simple as that. Clearly not a good ENOUGH test...the damn thing didn't work, did it?"

Well I learn something everyday from my particitaion on SB. My BCD pre-dive inspection consisted of excatly your rountine with fortunately perfect results since being certified since 1983. I just read my Halcyon BCD owner's manual that indicates one is supposed to connect the LP quick connection hose then depress and release the inflator button to ensure that the airflow is unobstructed, and that the airflow stops completely when the button is released. Then manually operate the overpressure (OP) valve by pulling on the attached string to test spring and valve integreity. Fully inflate the bouyancy wing until the OP valve opens. Examine the operation of the OP valve by reapeatedly inflating the wing to ensure that the valve opens to relieve excess pressure, yet closes immediately afterward to allow the bladder to remain taunt and fully inflated. Listen closely for any leakage with the wing fully inflated but not connected to a low pressure air source...

These are the same folks who accomplish world record cave dives 19,000 linear feet into systems in 300ft of depth so their pre-dive check may be more extensive than most. Keeping my dive buddies from talking my ear off during this process would be my greatest challenge. I normally do not post such long-winded messages but I took today off from the office. :banana:

"1. My method of checking the functionality of my BCD was pretty unscientific: once I was geared up, I pumped in some air. It seemed to hold it. Then I pressed the button to vent it. It seemed to come out. Simple as that. Clearly not a good ENOUGH test...the damn thing didn't work, did it?"

Well I learn something everyday from my particitaion on SB. My BCD pre-dive inspection consisted of excatly your rountine with fortunately perfect results since being certified since 1983. I just read my Halcyon BCD owner's manual that indicates one is supposed to connect the LP quick connection hose then depress and release the inflator button to ensure that the airflow is unobstructed, and that the airflow stops completely when the button is released. Then manually operate the overpressure (OP) valve by pulling on the attached string to test spring and valve integreity. Fully inflate the bouyancy wing until the OP valve opens. Examine the operation of the OP valve by reapeatedly inflating the wing to ensure that the valve opens to relieve excess pressure, yet closes immediately afterward to allow the bladder to remain taunt and fully inflated. Listen closely for any leakage with the wing fully inflated but not connected to a low pressure air source...

These are the same folks who accomplish world record cave dives 19,000 linear feet into systems in 300ft of depth so their pre-dive check may be more extensive than most. Keeping my dive buddies from talking my ear off during this process would be my greatest challenge. I normally do not post such long-winded messages but I took today off from the office. :banana:

Valhalla, their description of how to do a BCD pre-dive inspection more or less amounts to what I did...which was, pump air in it and see if it holds. Although they recommend doing it with a bit more rigor...and using more air than I did. That's all fine and good when you are not on a boat, testing with the tank that you are about to dive to 95 ft with. In the real world, we don't always have the option of blowing out a quarter of your tank for testing purposes. But in this case, I sure wish I had!

And you think your post was long winded??? Yeesh...let's not go there...:hehheh:

Valhalla, their description of how to do a BCD pre-dive inspection more or less amounts to what I did...which was, pump air in it and see if it holds. Although they recommend doing it with a bit more rigor...and using more air than I did. That's all fine and good when you are not on a boat, testing with the tank that you are about to dive to 95 ft with. In the real world, we don't always have the option of blowing out a quarter of your tank for testing purposes. But in this case, I sure wish I had!

And you think your post was long winded??? Yeesh...let's not go there...:hehheh:

After your sure the inflator works you can blow it up orally as much as you want then squezze it HARD!

After your sure the inflator works you can blow it up orally as much as you want then squezze it HARD!

True...and good point. In the end, I should include NOT testing my BCD thoroughly enough as one of my mistakes.

I hear you. I have always filled my BCD's orally top-side to save gas. As I say they are fanantical which is fine and they are also starting out with 4000psi in their LP cylinders before dives. A quick blast or two of the power inflator to check on it's functionality is all that I would do with cylinder gas then orally inflate for the remaining checks...Good practice for surface power inflation problems. Used to use LP inflator hose for underwater SMB inflation. What a CF operation that can be with line entanglement issues galore. Could not reconnect LP hose one time as well and had to orally inflate at surface last year for first time...

Last edited:
I routinely fill my wing until the OPV releases (because I'm paranoid, and like to float). I have never noticed ANY drop in tank pressure from doing this. It's a tiny, tiny fraction of the gas in the tank, even in an AL80.

Back
Top Bottom