My (newish) dive buddy makes a good choice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's better to avoid being in such a situation, but given that you were in it, good judgment was shown by all involved. It makes far better sense to share gas BEFORE anybody is out; that way, if there is a problem with separation, no one is without something to breathe. But it's also important to remember that, for the vast majority of dives, a safety stop is completely optional, so if there is a low on gas or other urgency, it is fine just to continue a nice, controlled ascent all the way to the big gas tank in the sky :)

To the excellent "rock bottom" advice above, I'd just add a recommendation to check your SPG every five minutes -- and to do it religiously.

I'd also add that, IMO, 15 dives is not enough experience for a 90 foot dive. One of the things taught (or that should be taught) in an AOW class's Deep Dive is how fast a diver goes through air at depth, and how much slower the brain processes that important piece of information. I'm not saying a new diver has to learn that in a class, but I'd like a newish diver to have learned that somewhere before attempting a dive below about 60 feet.

Regardless, great reaction to the situation, and a great thread for discussion!

Back
Top Bottom