My openwater qualifying dives, I was not good enough.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasdeva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am posting this with the hope that it will prevent someone else from making the same mistakes I have made. I don’t want to mention dive shops and institutions involved, I accept responsibility for my own actions.

It is a long post, it also a long story. If you make it to end, thanks for listening. A short word of advice on how to do it better will be much appreciated.

I have four qualifying dives scheduled.
One dive on day one, three dives on day two. This is done in Sodwana which is a reef system in the open sea exposed to strong currents and swells. The diving conditions in South Africa can be challenging.

Day one. Rough sea, very rough sea. 7 - 8 foot swell, very choppy with strong wind. We launch from the beach in a rubber duck (a five meter boat with inflatable pontoons and two 115hp outboards) and head to the reef. These are drift dives so the skipper picks a spot, drops the group and then chases the SMB. This being our first dive of a boat it takes forever to kit up. The swell is terrible and I am feeling very seasick. One of the other divers is retching over the side. After an eternity we are in the water but the swell is so high that I am sea sick in the water. Some students have buoyancy problems and once that is dealt with we have drifted so far out into the ocean that we have to be picked up by the boat again to be taken back to the reef. It being a rubber duck, you take your gear of in the water and then get dragged over the side. It is hectic, the swell makes this very hard to do but we all managed to get on. One of the divers are violently seasick at this stage and another boat from a different charter is hailed and she is taken back to the beach. I am now retching over the side. Most people are. The skipper is the only guy not loosing his breakfast.

We get back to the reef and roll over backwards into the ocean. I vomit in my regulator. Finally we get the signal to go down, I deflate and descend into the beautiful quiet ocean below. I look for my buddy, she is still at the surface. Back up to the top I go, can’t leave my buddy. At least the vomit has been washed out of my reg now. More weights are acquired and we go down again. Thankfully we all reach the bottom. It is wonderful after the heavy seas up top. We do mask clear and regulator recovery in the shelter of a reef and then start the drift. What an awesome experience. Dive ends, back into the boat, some more retching, the sea is even heavier now and we head to the beach. No more dives for the day.

I get up at 5:30 am the next morning for our next set of dives. The sea is not as rough as yesterday but the swell is still going and by the time we roll over the side I am not feeling well. Dive is fantastic, the current is vicious which makes keeping track of your buddy hard, but I persevere. I am still stressed. So many things to remember as a new diver and I have to deal with the strong current. At 60 bar (900psi) I head up for my safety stop which is anything but a stop in the current, more like swim next to the knot in the SMB line at 5 meters for 3 minutes. Once in the boat, looking down to loosen my fins is too much for my stomach and I heave my morning coffee over the side. At this stage I don’t even worry about it. Retch retch retch, wash face, carry on.

We have our surface interval at the beach, I cant eat breakfast, still feeling too queasy. Back out to the reef again for dive two. We are now doing a negative descent backwards roll. I am not sure of the terminology, but its basically: empty BCD, exhale , hold on to you gear and roll backwards going straight down. I make the most noobish mistake ever. When I roll over backwards my mask gets knocked sideways because I did not hold it down properly. In the chaos of heading straight for the bottom while trying clear my mask, searching for my buddy and regaining control of my buoyancy I forget to equalize and my right hear is hurting like hell. I try to equalize and it does not want to clear. I try again, I should have ascended at this stage, but I was making all the mistakes in the book now. I try once more, with commitment, and I can now hear bubbles coming out of my left ear, my right ear has sort of equalized. I am scared and angry and decide to carry on with the drift. I did not last another minute. You cannot equalize one ear if the pressure is escaping from the other so I find my instructor let her know i have a problem and head up. I am now angry with myself and very disappointed. I get back in the boat and wait for the dive to end in considerable pain. Needless to say, I apologized and asked if I could be excused from the next dive, I was not going to dive if I think if have a perforated eardrum. And so my diving course ends. That evening I am informed that I have passed my course and are now certified to dive. I thank those involved but I don’t think I am qualified at all. Rupturing my eardrum was a rookie mistake due to inexperience and stress. I am scared of going down again and hearing air coming out of your ear is not pleasant. These points were covered in our lectures, but it is so hard to remember it all when you are stressed and task loaded.

Thinking back, it is hard to pinpoint where it went wrong. An instructor can only teach you the theory, not being stupid in the water is a personal responsibility. Taking your training seriously is a big responsibility and I will not feel comfortable being the backup system for a buddy if I cannot deal calmly and effectively with very basic issues in the water. Being seasick played a huge part in all of this, I will see a doctor and get some advice about it. General fitness is also an issue in rough conditions. I am 36 years old and exercise regularly. I can swim 300 yards in 10 minutes without getting out of breath but to be comfortable in conditions like these, I will need to do that in 8 minutes using front crawl and get a lot stronger.

Lying on my bed back at the diving lodge while the others were doing dive three, I decided to give up on diving. I have since changed my mind, I will redo my open water course at a different institution making very sure that I warn my instructor up front of the issues I had. There is no physical problem that prevents me from becoming a great diver, my next challenge is mental and I will do this properly.

Good on you for not giving up and for taking personal responsibility. From what I've heard about Sodwana, it seems to be a difficult place for OW instruction. Hopefully you will find a calmer site to do your certification, build up your experience and return there to enjoy the diving!

Wow.

What a story!

First don't give up. You understand a lot more than you think. Find a less hostile environment to get the basics down on. Then progress to more challenging dives.

Good grief, if that isn't one of the hardest checkout dives I ever heard about. The only thing that bothered me was when you said I decided to carry on...Nope abort if there is a problem straighten out and live to dive again.
New diver myself so I'll let the more expirienced divers give you advice. To me me your attitude tells me you will be a good diver, Don't be so hard on yourself.

The conditions that you were doing your first ever OW dives is quite beyond what would have been preferable for them (although this may be normal where you are)
I agree, hardest OW dives I've ever heard about!
Stress is what caused you to have such a hard time, when you do get back in the water with an instructor (no need to take the whole OW course again) just have more benign conditions and you will do fine

An instructor can only teach you the theory, not being stupid in the water is a personal responsibility.
No, No, a Thousand Times No!

An instructor can teach you how to dive not just the theory of it.

An instructor can teach you the skills you need to be comfortable in the water.

An instructor can evaluate your education, reinforce the physical skills done properly and correct the ones that need changing.

An instructor TEACHES students.

Reading your report really makes me hope this is written as a satire of all that could be wrong with an Open Water Scuba class -- but I'm quite sure it is written as fact, not fiction.

This is so sad.

I think given time, you'll be an excellent diver.

Don't drink coffee before heading out in rough seas. Avoid anything with acid or grease. You need something on your stomach, dry toast works well. Take your sea sickness meds.

Find yourself an experienced diver (several hundred dives) and dive with him. Learn from him and your diving will improve very quickly.

Good luck in your diving.

Don't give up, you are already better in the water than a great number of experienced divers.

I wouldn't repeat the class, take care of your ear first, find some local diver that can go with you in a more relaxed way.

This is supposed to be fun, usually a bit hectic during the first few dives but that was way beyond hectic.

Like everyone else said don't give up! That sounds like a trial by fire! Go to the ear nose throat doc and get checked out. Don't dive until you get a medical ok. Next time you puke into your reg hold the purge button while your doing it. It clears the reg fast and give you air for the involuntary inhale you take afterward. Hang in there and find someone with some experience to dive with you'll learn a lot.

Wow...I'm recently certified and I KNOW I wouldn't have made it in conditions like that! It sounds like you have learned a lot and like other people have said, I think you are aware of and know more than you think you do. You clearly have thought about and learned from what went wrong in those dives. I'm with D_B -- get back in the water with an instructor in better conditions and you'll do fine.
You can be my buddy anytime!

Back
Top Bottom