my planed trip to florida...look it over please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi ya'll.

I'm another texas kid planning a trip to florida for spring break. (mar13-19)

I'm planning on ending up in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, but want to hit 2 or 3 divespots on the way in. There are so many dive spots, it is impossible for me to figure out which ones are not overrun with students etc...

So far, im planning to hit vortex because it is very close to the freeway... any other suggestions?

I may take the boat up to Cypress Springs in the morning.

I had 5 cylinders filled at Vortex yesterday.

Hit Morrison while doing Vortex if it is open.

Let me know when you will be out and we can get a couple of dives in .

We can hit the PCB area

I would stay North or South of the "War Zone", Miami.

Krisscuba:
I did not know what part of Texas you where coming from. At 900 miles accross, I regretted driving accross the state in a day.

At Ginnie

The open water site is a small basin with a fair sized cavern. Not much to see and it is usually overcrowded with students. The devils eye and devils ear are cave sites. It is also expensive, I have not been since I took a class there in 99, then I think it was $27.

Ginnie got its name from a black towns lady named Ginnie that did the towns laundry at the spring.

The Grotto is also boreing

Devils den is good to do once. The Devil's Den got its name from the steam that would raise up off the water out of the gorund in the winter.

..from a lady that did the laundry? Where did you hear this? It was renamed Ginnie Springs because of the 'gin' clear water. I've never heard any stories about a lady that does the laundry.

As far as prices, it is still $27 for OW and $20 for full cave. If you are not cavern or cave certifed, you would have a hard time using up a whole tank.
The Ginnie cavern is a large cavern with a novice line and is open to OW divers. This is the only place OWs are allowed to bring a light. Ginnie cavern and ballroom lay claims to being one of the nicest caverns anywhere. Actually, that cavern got me hooked into pursuing overhead diving. You don't have to worry about the crowds right now, its still too cold so you are fine in that respect.

Robinhoood

That may explain a few things, i.e. the play on workds Gin-nie.

The spring has had several differnt names, i.e. Jenny.

Below is a link for the Geological survey in 74. It has a good picture of the springs looking accross it. The blue area is the basin at the mouth of the cavern. The darker area is rock, the top of the cavern and only a few feet deep.

Watch the novice line, people have had overexpansion injuries pulling themselves up it

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/springs_of_fl/aaj7320/ginnie.html

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom