My reg freeflowed at 80 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one with the lightest "seat pressure" freeflows. That could be the primary or octo. Its usually the primary, since the octo is usually detuned a bit to prevent current-related freeflows.

Whichever one opens up first releases the excess pressure..... unless things get REALLY bad! :)

The flow on one second stage is normally enough to keep the intermediate pressure below the critical limit for the other second stage.

Adjusting the viva won't directly help you avoid a freeflow but may help prevent a freeflow with the reg out of your mouth that could start the whole freeze process.

Slowly, but surely I'm beginning to understand. I had to re-read some of the lenghtier explainations several times. Technical stuff isn't a given with me, I have to study it a little more than some people.

It was interesting having my reg on the bench too. I saw how they detuned it and got to see how they watch the guage for awhile because of how the things "seats".

There may be hope for me yet.

Juls

Crispos:

What's "*****"

I didn't get it.

Yes, I think mandating certain Regs for certain wrecks is a no-go before the words ever entered the page............

That's totally off the Deep end.

Maybe the "Blacks" can stay at the front of the boat, so I can get off first..........

And "they" better not get in my way down there!!!!!

I'll string them up by THEIR 7' hoses..........

HEY that's funny!!!!! :bonk:

Not sure exactly what it is or how it works but there is MK25AF (AntiFreeze) model and a kit that can be retrofitted onto a non-AF model for cold water use.

I'll never understand the simple minded thinking that some people have by saying that more rules, and regulations are the answer. Childproofing the world is never going to solve problems. At best it merely prolongs them. Most dive operators are going to be more interested in money anyway. They don't really care what type of regulator you use for a dive. This is only going to create more confusion when it comes to safety issues.

Educating divers, and manufacturer liability is most likely the only thing that will bring a solution to a problem like this. I've been using various models of Sherwood Regs for years in waters near freezing temps. and have never had a problem with freeflows, so obviously it is possible to make a reg that doesn't have this problem. The Scubapro reg that I mentioned earlier was put on the air bench, tried again by a very experienced, Scubapro technician, and very conservative (air) diver afterward where it continued to freeflow at 80 plus feet. My hunch is that ScubaPro knows this is a problem but is failing to recall these regs, or fix them most likely because the vast majority of divers are not using them in near freezing temps.

Bottom line is: Are you willing to trust your life to something that is showing signs of letting you down when you need it most? (at depth) This isn't like your car breaking down. When your car breaksdown you coast to the side of the road most of the time where it is usually safe, when your regulator malfunctions you might as well consider it like being it in a plane with engine failure. You might live through it, and you might not.

Are you really willing to take the chance? I would take the dang thing back for a refund, or replacement if it continues, or trash it and buy something that functions correctly for these conditions. Sorry, but I don't see how this could be a difficult decision.

Splash

Sherwood DOES NOT HAVE WATER IN THE BALANCE CHAMBER. That's the entire point of the 'dry bleed' system.

That is why it doesn't freeze. It can't - there's nothing in there TO freeze.

Use the right tool for the job.

..............[snip]Educating divers, and manufacturer liability is most likely the only thing that will bring a solution to a problem like this. I've been using various models of Sherwood Regs for years in waters near freezing temps. and have never had a problem with freeflows, so obviously it is possible to make a reg that doesn't have this problem. The Scubapro reg that I mentioned earlier was put on the air bench, tried again by a very experienced, Scubapro technician, and very conservative (air) diver afterward where it continued to freeflow at 80 plus feet. My hunch is that ScubaPro knows this is a problem but is failing to recall these regs, or fix them most likely because the vast majority of divers are not using them in near freezing temps....[snip]

I have a hunch, if I'm understanding you correctly (It was dove again, (under "conservative" conditions) and it flowed again, there really is a problem with THAT Particular Reg/set-up, and not every model of its kind.

Maybe he's the same "ScubaPro Technician" that produced my two Mk25's out of the box incorrectly assembled!

P.S> They worked well for many dives before my tear-down which is when I realized the error in the Mfg.

It appears that we are all saying the same thing. If their regs are not functioning properly in these conditions, even after being serviced by qualified technicians then for goodness sake get something else before you wish that you had. I don't care what you buy, but get something that functions the way it's supposed to.

Splash

The ScubaPro Tech that I mentioned already knew of the problems with these regs, but he still thought that maybe the diver was overbreathing his reg. He took the reg. to the shop, tore it down to make sure everything was in order, and put it back together. He didn't even know this diver, and had never touched these regs before. He then took it to 80 plus feet himself with the diver that owned it. It started freeflowing again. After returning was when he admitted that they'd been having this problem with alot of their regs. He was not an employee of ScubaPro. He was a well respected, and experienced dive shop owner/ScubaPro certified tech/ Instructor/ blah blah blah. The Exclusive Deep Water Dive Operator of that facility verified the same problem by saying he'd seen this same problem a number of times, and that they'd all been ScubaPro regs that malfunctioned.

It certainly seems as though ScubaPro might be ignoring a serious problem. These regs should be performing fine at this depth. Other models of ScubaPro seem to be doing just fine at this temp/depth, and they are no more designed, or marketed for cold water than these alleged faulty ones are. These are expensive regs, and divers most likely assume that they will function at 80 ft., and 46 degrees. I certainly would've expected them to.

Splash

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom