My scuba class today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the basis of what I teach. If you bought a copy and read it you might see what I am talking about.:D

It is a supplement to the agency materials as allowed by the agencies. There is information in it that is not in any agency issued materials that I feel is important for the OW diver to have.

It also outlines why I teach the way I do and my philosophy for not teaching quick courses and why comprehensive training is important.

I do think that new divers need to know how to interview an instructor and shop. How to evaluate when they should seek more training and of what nature. It is not a manual that tells people how to dive. That is made clear from the beginning.

There is info on how to calculate gas supplies, planning dives while taking emotional and mental factors into account, how the buddy system is supposed to work and why many OW classes fall short in teaching it. I think divers need to know why they see the prices they do in dive shops. There is supplemental information that I just don't have time to go into in class but feel is information they should have. It's not all about squeezing every dollar I can out of them. If that were the case I'd charge for every book, paper, extra session, etc.

I did not increase my prices when I started to include it in the materials for the class. I do give it to students. I don't sell it to them. I give them printed handouts on diver responsibility, communication, gas management, and PTSD in Recreational Dive Rescues. I don't have to and suppose I could charge extra for those. I choose not to.

That may be a clarification in your eyes but it's something else to me.

Reactions: RJP
That may be a clarification in your eyes but it's something else to me.

It was "clarification with a smiley face" in my eyes.

:crafty:

I genuinely didn't intend to imply that your motivation for including your book was financial. Obviously you include the book in the materials you provide because you believe it provides valuable information that supplements the core materials... and clearly it does.

Ray

Just to let you all know the instructor used the PADI material to teach the class.

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom