my UK light cannon wont light up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wackodacko

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hey guys! i have the UK HID Light Cannon 100.. I bought it in December 2002 and probably used it a total of less than 30 times so it couldn't have reached the 1000 cycle limit yet. The bulb looks intact, the light was never dropped, and i put fresh batteries.. but it wont turn on!!! I hear a click when I flick the switch, but no light.
It was never flooded cuz last time I used it diving it worked. (which was 3 wks ago) I suspect something inside went wacko. I travelled with it alot, but in my handcarry!

Its insured with DEPP. Do you think I should make a claim to DEPP for flashlight damage, or should I get it checked at my LDS and pay something? i bought the light online.

thanks!

A couple of stupid suggestions before you do anything.

Check that the batteries you put in are fresh. Consider a new set if you have any questions.

Make sure that the batteries are properly oriented.

Take the light apart completely. Then reassemble it.

I don't know why, but that fixed my light cannon when it failed to work.

i had mediumlly used batteries in when i discovered the problem. I went out and bought new ones and still nothing.. Yes i turned the batteries every which way and took everything out and put them back in.. hmmmmmm

You might want to call UK or the shop you bought it at. Three of my dive buddies bought that light from different retailers, all three have gone back to UK with bad ballists more than once. I also talked with my lds and he said the majority of them have been coming back. Good Luck

i dont know what a ballist is, but i called a couple shops in the area. One said they would send it to UK, but i'd have to pay. what the!?!? so I called another one, and they said theyll take a look at it, and if they hafta send it back UK will probably pay. I called UK and they said if they will give the LDS $ for shipping so i'm not supposed to pay anything. I didn't buy my light at any of the LDSs.. o well ill let ya know what happens

.... I had bought the light some distance from where I live so it was'nt convenient to go back to the shop.
I decided to mail the light back to UK. It turned out that I had one of a batch that had faulty bulbs. They replaced the bulb (and gave me some new batteries) and shipped it back. It's been working very well ever since.
Good Luck!!
Barb:)

I had a problem of mine not working when I got it new. Seems that the base that goes inside the light (the part the batteries sit on top of) was in upside down. I think the springs go up, not down when you put it in the light. Maybe you had it apart and put it back together wrong? Just a suggestion.. also, you dont have to screw the cap back on to test it. Just push down on the lens assembly (not the bulb itself, duh) and use your pinky to activate the rocker switch that turns the light on (you have to keep it depressed) you should see the bulb light up.

When I turned the light on it made a few clicks and trrrrr's and that's all.
The light seems OK, batteries are new, fuse is also OK, never flooded, never dropped or smashed against anything. It has been used just a few times, so I don't think I reached the bulb's lifetime neither...
Tried to change batteries- didn't help, same "trrrrr" and nothing.
I began to get frustrated.
Then I took out the bulb and reinserted it- nothing, same trrrrrr and no lighht.

Now the light works only occasionally, perhaps it turns on 1 in every 20-30 tries. I have sent a mail to UK customer service and they think it is a bad bulb. They promised to send me a new one on June 19th, I'm still waiting...

Just last night I went to go for a dive and guess what...the light cannon would not light up;-0 (luckly I had a buckup).

Anyway I got home, and the bulb looked ok..checked the fuse and battery orientation...All seemed ok. I even tried new batteries. Well I checked it again this morning and discouvered that I put the bottom plate in upside down. I had the springs facing the batteries instead of the back of the light housing :D

Once I turned it around and made sure that the bottom plate was aligned correctly...BINGO it came to life.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom