My Video Sled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mafiaman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I've just finished the construction phase of my Video sled. In the pool it feels about 2 pounds negative, so in saltwater it should be fine.

I would like to hear your comments, complements, and constructive criticism ( I know it's ugly)

Attachments

• 0171 Medium.JPG
    0171 Medium.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 0172Medium.JPG
    0172Medium.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 0173Medium.JPG
    0173Medium.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 92
Details:
Housing: Equinox Pro. Pack 6
Camera: Sony HDR-HC1
Lights: 1 set Dive rite slim line 10w HID
Lights 2: 1 set old Dive Rite 75w 24v Halogen
Sled: DIY PVC, Aluminum, Stainless.

I'm going to Wally world(walmart) to get a cheap fish scale to get negative weight.

Not shiny enough :)

Don't expect much of a bouyancy shift between the pool and salt.

Looks pretty good but way too much rig for me to tote around.

If you pull the pins on the wings what happens to the camera/housing since the lights are cabled (and it appears bolted through the bottom plate) to the battery? Or are you assuming it to be positively buoyant in the ocean?

That's absurd, unless you are doing professional videos, then it's ABSURD!

Way too much to tote around; think they will have to charge you extra on the dive boat as it will take up as much space as another person.

sjspeck:
If you pull the pins on the wings what happens to the camera/housing since the lights are cabled (and it appears bolted through the bottom plate) to the battery? Or are you assuming it to be positively buoyant in the ocean?

The wings are a dove tail connection if you pull the pins and slide the housing/camera out of the dove tails the housing/camera will be on the express elevator up.

crpntr133:
Don't expect much of a bouyancy shift between the pool and salt.

Looks pretty good but way too much rig for me to tote around.

Well it's 5 pounds negative :( little more than I thought.

This rig is for night diving

CAPT HOOK:
That's absurd, unless you are doing professional videos, then it's ABSURD!

Way too much to tote around; think they will have to charge you extra on the dive boat as it will take up as much space as another person.

Ask anyone who does Pro. Video and they will all tell you "you can't have to much light underwater"

Besides this rig is for my night dives, during daylight I don't need lights down to 130 fsw, just a correction lens.

Mafiaman:
The wings are a dove tail connection if you pull the pins and slide the housing/camera out of the dove tails the housing/camera will be on the express elevator up.
So the bottom battery is just mounted to the metal plates? It wasn't clear on the photo.

Maybe you could add a couple more PVC tubes. Outside and above the existing ones. My rig is about 1-1/2 lbs. negative, I'm not sure I'd want to hold one that's 5lbs. negative horizontally for long periods of time. But on the plus side, it should be pretty stable, you've got mass and surface area working your way.

Ask anyone who does Pro. Video and they will all tell you "you can't have to much light underwater"
I agree, even during daylight. And the HC1 doesn't have the best low-light rating either.

Back
Top Bottom