My Video Sled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will try to do a better job explaining.

the first picture shows the sled stripped, I agree 5 pounds is to heavy, right now the buoyancy pontoons are 3" PVC. I'm replacing the with 6" PVC.

The second and third picture shows the connections between the sled and the 24v battery pack for the Halogen lamps. Can you see the slot where the aluminum tab slides thru and then is pinned in?

In the first picture also shows the two hollow tubes left and right above the pontoons is where the batteries for the two HID lamps go.

Attachments

• IMG_0176 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0176 (Medium).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0175 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0175 (Medium).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0174 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0174 (Medium).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 51
Ok, now I see it. Thanks for breaking it all down for clarity...

Well after some calculations using a milk jug an a tape measure I've decided to replace my 8" X 3" pontoons with 10.5" X 4" pontoons to try to get neutral.

The way I figured this was to tie a milk jug full of air to the set-up and let just enough water in to make it neutral, then by holding the jug up-side-down I marked the water line so when I flipped it over that would be the volume needed to add.
After putting one end cap on a piece of 4"pvc I filled the jug to the line with water and dumped it into the pvc, then by drilling a hole in one pontoon and filling it twice and dumping it into the pvc giving me the total volume needed, divide by 2 and allowing 1/2" at each end for the bow in the cap. WaaLaa. I hope :rofl3:

Mafiaman:
I will try to do a better job explaining.

the first picture shows the sled stripped, I agree 5 pounds is to heavy, right now the buoyancy pontoons are 3" PVC. I'm replacing the with 6" PVC.

When I did my first salt dive with my video I was set at about 1 lb negative in fresh. I added 4 lbs because that was all I had left in my weights, figured I would be close. After the first dive I was done for. It was so stinkin heavy it wasn't funny.
I posted on the baord about how much weight should be added to go from fresh to salt. The consensus was that it would be about neutral without adding any weight.The shift is less than a pound.
Good idea of going to bigger pontoons for buoyancy.

Are you planning to use both light systems at the same time? If so, it surprises me that you would mix HIDs and Halogens, they're two different colors of light.

Your rig looks pretty sweet, very well thought out. It looks like a lot of fabrication! I'm dive your dive buddies will be very appreciative since you'll be illuminating the ENTIRE wreck! LOL!

My twin 10 watt HIDs are plenty of light for my style shooting day or night. Be sure to do plenty of experimenting with your new rig before shooting anything important. Too much light can make your videos look flat, but I tend to like a fairly contrasty scene. I tend to point my light heads to the side to reduce the amount of light hitting subject.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

~Steve~

Hey there...a couple of things...

1st - Hey I wanted that light rig on ebay two weeks ago! You got it eh? Too funny if that is it.

I wish I had time to show you mine with pictures but I would consider the following...if it doesnt make sense let me know.

1. Get the battery attached to the tank and run the lights under each of your arms.

2. Clip the lights to your BC by doing a standard dogclip attachment to each cord.

3. I have the standard reflector for those lights dogcliped to my bc with the test tube inside those when entering the water to protect the bulbs. The video reflectors are still on the video camera housing and arms.

4. Once in the water and settled in. Move the lights to the arms and tighten down.

5. Now a few things you must know!!!

In an emergency, you CANNOT dump the camera because it is attached to you.

Attach two very large Boat Clips to the bottom of your housing. You will find this very very useful for attaching the camera to your chest when not needed or during fixes or emergencies. You can clip one or both boat clips. Clip the camera with the lens facing down so you can protect it and watch your housing closures

Last safety thing but VERY important...Keep your Octo around your neck on a bungee and be prepared to share your primary regulator. This usually means switching out the two hoses for lengths. This method will avoid entanglement of octo on the side with light cables AND provide you easy access to a second regulator if you need it.

6. When ready to exit, reverse the bulb switch.

7. This is how I use my rig at night or in a cave. It allows me to clip off my rig to my chest and use one of the lights as a handheld at any time. I have clipped it off during long swims and deco stops. During an out of air buddy situation, I actually dropped the camera and it swung below my legs on the two cords. Not pretty but it was my buddy and.... an emergency IS an emergency and the camera comes last.

8. I like your engineering ideas but it wont be practical getting in and out of the water, the rinse tank, or traveling. Solid ideas but they need some refining for practicality.

added comment....

Mixing HID with Halogen can be an issue so you will need color correction gels to match temperature. I would drop the HIDs since they dont have reflectors. they will cause hot spots and the "whites" burning out on the image and the backscatter of the straight on angle will be an issue. Put a good backup light on your BC. I believe those are dual 50s and that is a lot of light for most night open water stuff.

You may find only one light necessary most of the time for medium. None of my videos on youtube (search decopixel) is done with more than 1 50 watt halogen but I do have a good low light camera. ---- this gave me an ideas seeing your rigs for the HID batteries. If you used a "half pipe" for the halogen reflector holders and a velcro or bungee piece on the pipe and the reflector, you can make the changeover faster AND if you wanted to hand hold a light for a side lighting effect, you could do this quickly.

I do like one thing and that is the mass of the camera for helping steady shots as the water resistance reduces movement...but better buoyancy, breathing control, and a steady hand are better than fighting that thing in a 2.5 knot current.

Mark

Mafiaman:
Ask anyone who does Pro. Video and they will all tell you "you can't have to much light underwater"

Besides this rig is for my night dives, during daylight I don't need lights down to 130 fsw, just a correction lens.

I'm not a pro, but I find I need less light on night dives since I don't have to fight the sunlight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom