My weekend with Diver0001

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lynne,

What a nice trip report. I love the pictures and it was an honor for me to spend some time diving with you and Peter. I can't wait until we get the chance to do it again. Hopefully next time Bob can make it too.

For my part I have to say that day 1 was a bit intimidating. We had to get up ridiculously early and I wasn't on my game when we got to the boat but despite feeling out my comfort zone I managed to successfully infiltrate a GUE/DIR boat at least well enough that nobody was rolling their eyes and asking me to get off before we left the dock! :)

Once I was in the water though, I felt relaxed and the dive on the Saskatchewan was fabulous. I have to admit that you were right about the standardized gear. The fact that my own gear is very similar to the gear you brought for me to dive with did help a lot. Aside from your tanks being a bit heavier than mine are, it was a pretty simple matter to get dailed in. Naturally I expected you and Peter to both look fabulous in the water, which you did, and since it was my first time diving on a boat full of GUE divers my goal was to at least not come across looking like flailing noob in dire need of rescuing. In fact, it was a big relief to immediately see that DIR diving sharply resembles scuba diving, and although the need to ask some basic questions about things like the dive planning probably made me fit in more like a huge yellow bathtub duck than a dressed-in-black-DIR chameleon, I felt that it went pretty well.

I also really enjoyed meeting the other divers on the boat and it entirely convinced me that my negative experiences with the DIR community in the Netherlands are definitely not typical of everyone. That day left me feeling more confident about the idea of contacting JP than I ever have been before and Peter's idea of "being that guy" has really taken root. I'll be doing this in January, once JP and Anne Marie get back. Who knows, you may yet succeed in converting me :D. I guess if I do go full DIR at some point I'll have to swap out my awesome wing for one that vents slow and has an inflator that's a bit short but oh well :wink:

You may have thought that the second dive was a bit of a wash, being on a rubble bottom, but just being there with you and Peter and taking the time to scour the bottom for interesting subjects was more than enough to make me happy despite being a bit uncomfortable with the leaking mask. It was also gratifying to hear from Dave after the fact that we were the only divers in the group who actually surfaced where they expected to see us. LOL. All in all, I found the dive quiet and controlled and it was fun for me to just hang there and try to keep communication open with two photographers who despite the varying degrees of the inevitable "moth to candle" positioning in the water that is part and parcel of diving with a camera never lost awareness of their own diving or the team.

I especially noticed this during the second day. By that point I was pretty sure I had passed the "borg-cupcake" test and I had the same "click" that you did with the communication. I felt as though I were diving with my regular dive buddy. It was our 3rd dive together but it might as well have been our 300th. During the 3rd dive, communication fell into place to the point where we were communicating almost entirely with eye contact and body positioning, which is exactly how I do it with my buddy Arthur too. Diving like that reminds me of dancing a tango where reading the other person becomes a part of your own dance too. It felt great to have that happening and made it SO easy to dive with you. Sadly Peter's attempts to actually lead the dive fell of deaf ears but oh well.... :D

The last dive cemented one thing for me, which is that this isn't going to be the last time. I thoroughly enjoyed myself both under water and between dives and this is clearly a case of "iFriends" making the transition to real-life friends. It was bound to be easy though, since both you and Peter are what-you-see-is-what-you-get types of people who don't present yourself any differently online than you are in person. I'm already looking forward to the next time.

R..

I guess if I do go full DIR at some point I'll have to swap out my awesome wing for one that vents slow and has an inflator that's a bit short but oh well

GI3 knows what's in your heart, even if your bungies are hidden . . . :D

Maybe you need to come visit family more often? (I don't think, after what you said, that you'll lure us into doing much Netherlands diving -- but we COULD meet in the Red Sea someday!)

Lynne,

What a nice trip report. I love the pictures and it was an honor for me to spend some time diving with you and Peter. I can't wait until we get the chance to do it again. Hopefully next time Bob can make it too.

For my part I have to say that day 1 was a bit intimidating. We had to get up ridiculously early and I wasn't on my game when we got to the boat but despite feeling out my comfort zone I managed to successfully infiltrate a GUE/DIR boat at least well enough that nobody was rolling their eyes and asking me to get off before we left the dock! :)

Once I was in the water though, I felt relaxed and the dive on the Saskatchewan was fabulous. I have to admit that you were right about the standardized gear. The fact that my own gear is very similar to the gear you brought for me to dive with did help a lot. Aside from your tanks being a bit heavier than mine are, it was a pretty simple matter to get dailed in. Naturally I expected you and Peter to both look fabulous in the water, which you did, and since it was my first time diving on a boat full of GUE divers my goal was to at least not come across looking like flailing noob in dire need of rescuing. In fact, it was a big relief to immediately see that DIR diving sharply resembles scuba diving, and although the need to ask some basic questions about things like the dive planning probably made me fit in more like a huge yellow bathtub duck than a dressed-in-black-DIR chameleon, I felt that it went pretty well.

I also really enjoyed meeting the other divers on the boat and it entirely convinced me that my negative experiences with the DIR community in the Netherlands are definitely not typical of everyone. That day left me feeling more confident about the idea of contacting JP than I ever have been before and Peter's idea of "being that guy" has really taken root. I'll be doing this in January, once JP and Anne Marie get back. Who knows, you may yet succeed in converting me :D. I guess if I do go full DIR at some point I'll have to swap out my awesome wing for one that vents slow and has an inflator that's a bit short but oh well :wink:

You may have thought that the second dive was a bit of a wash, being on a rubble bottom, but just being there with you and Peter and taking the time to scour the bottom for interesting subjects was more than enough to make me happy despite being a bit uncomfortable with the leaking mask. It was also gratifying to hear from Dave after the fact that we were the only divers in the group who actually surfaced where they expected to see us. LOL. All in all, I found the dive quiet and controlled and it was fun for me to just hang there and try to keep communication open with two photographers who despite the varying degrees of the inevitable "moth to candle" positioning in the water that is part and parcel of diving with a camera never lost awareness of their own diving or the team.

I especially noticed this during the second day. By that point I was pretty sure I had passed the "borg-cupcake" test and I had the same "click" that you did with the communication. I felt as though I were diving with my regular dive buddy. It was our 3rd dive together but it might as well have been our 300th. During the 3rd dive, communication fell into place to the point where we were communicating almost entirely with eye contact and body positioning, which is exactly how I do it with my buddy Arthur too. Diving like that reminds me of dancing a tango where reading the other person becomes a part of your own dance too. It felt great to have that happening and made it SO easy to dive with you. Sadly Peter's attempts to actually lead the dive fell of deaf ears but oh well.... :D

The last dive cemented one thing for me, which is that this isn't going to be the last time. I thoroughly enjoyed myself both under water and between dives and this is clearly a case of "iFriends" making the transition to real-life friends. It was bound to be easy though, since both you and Peter are what-you-see-is-what-you-get types of people who don't present yourself any differently online than you are in person. I'm already looking forward to the next time.

R..

What a sweet reply! Don't forget to swing by Whidbey Island next time!:) ...just kidding!

---------- Post added November 30th, 2012 at 08:51 AM ----------

GI3 knows what's in your heart, even if your bungies are hidden . . . :D

Maybe you need to come visit family more often? (I don't think, after what you said, that you'll lure us into doing much Netherlands diving -- but we COULD meet in the Red Sea someday!)

You would be surprised of what you can find in those waters! A while ago I met a German oceanographer who showed me a picture of nudibranch very similar to a species found her in the PNW but it was blue rather than yellow-orange! You could do a diving tour of European waters. When I was in Portugal I would have liked to dive a site near Porto of a WW2 German submarine that rests in 90ft of water but the weather did not cooperate and I did not have a lot of time to wait for the wind to quit blowing in the wrong direction. When I was in Italy I wished I had the time, and money, to dive more ancient archaeological sites.

Rob, Thank you for getting us off our butts and up to Vancouver Island. It is amazing, is it not, that good diving is just good diving? It doesn't matter what initials are on the card -- what matters is the diving itself. We are all well trained and experienced divers so it shouldn't be a surprise that we dove well together.

Now about that leading the dive thing.....:wink:

Reactions: Jax
What a sweet reply! Don't forget to swing by Whidbey Island next time!:) ...just kidding!

I would be more than happy to!

You would be surprised of what you can find in those waters! A while ago I met a German oceanographer who showed me a picture of nudibranch very similar to a species found her in the PNW but it was blue rather than yellow-orange! You could do a diving tour of European waters. When I was in Portugal I would have liked to dive a site near Porto of a WW2 German submarine that rests in 90ft of water but the weather did not cooperate and I did not have a lot of time to wait for the wind to quit blowing in the wrong direction. When I was in Italy I wished I had the time, and money, to dive more ancient archaeological sites.

There's a big difference between different parts of Europe. Where I live there is nothing that even remotely compares to diving in BC. Yes we have nudibranches and such but the water is always turbid and there is very little in the way of moderate sized life. What *is* good, however, are the wrecks on the North Sea, where you do see that. The sea inlets, though... meh. I'll take BC over our local diving every day.

R..

I would be more than happy to!

OK! It's a deal!:wink: However I have to warn you that the visibility on Whidbey Island is not as good as BC.

There's a big difference between different parts of Europe. Where I live there is nothing that even remotely compares to diving in BC. Yes we have nudibranches and such but the water is always turbid and there is very little in the way of moderate sized life. What *is* good, however, are the wrecks on the North Sea, where you do see that. The sea inlets, though... meh. I'll take BC over our local diving every day.

R..

I guess that German (or Belgian? I don't remember any more) oceanographer must be a nut because she likes to go diving where no other local divers want to dive: a site near an estuary with murky water and tricky currents... Maybe it's there were she finds those blue sea slugs.

I guess that German (or Belgian? I don't remember any more) oceanographer must be a nut because she likes to go diving where no other local divers want to dive: a site near an estuary with murky water and tricky currents... Maybe it's there were she finds those blue sea slugs.

I think I might know where you mean. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

R..

Back
Top Bottom